Position description: Young Invincibles (YI), a national Millennial research and advocacy group amplifying the voices of young adults in the political process and expanding economic opportunity for our generation, seeks a press secretary for its Washington, D.C. headquarters. This position will drive strategic press coverage around YI’s policy and advocacy campaigns tied to health care, higher education, workforce development, and economic security on a national level and in YI’s regional offices. YI’s press secretary will primarily be responsible for garnering media coverage for the organization and our issue areas through pitching and building relationships with reporters.
Position reports to: Communications Director
● Develop media relations strategy to place stories that progress our mission, insert YI into national and regional discussions on policy trends, and elevate the voices of young adults
● Generate creative and timely story ideas and pitch them to media on a regular proactive basis
● Support rapid response and reactive media strategy around YI’s issue areas and legislative action
● Build and manage relationships with media and serve as their primary liaison to YI
● Write press materials including press releases, op-eds, blog posts, fact sheets, talking points, etc.
● Develop and coordinate media events with staff, coalitions, and young adult spokespeople
● Conduct media trainings and prepare staff for interviews and press events
● Support on digital communications including social media and multimedia work, as interested
● 4-6 years of press experience, with a preference for background in policy, government relations, or advocacy
● Command of news trends and an understanding of print, broadcast, and online media
● Ability to work with and forge new relationships with reporters and editors
● Strong writing and editing skills
● Passion for the causes YI champions and a commitment to diversity
Compensation commensurate with experience. Please e-mail resume, cover letter, and two brief writing samples to YI’s communications director at email@example.com.
Job Posted: February 13, 2017