Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
About the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES): Our mission is to secure a safe and stable climate by accelerating the transition to a thriving, just, and resilient low-carbon economy. We are widely recognized as an influential voice on climate issues, a trusted convener, and a credible source of expertise and analysis. We work closely with international climate negotiators; federal, state, and local policymakers; executives of Fortune 500 businesses; and a wide range of other stakeholders to advance strong policy and action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote clean energy, and strengthen resilience to climate impacts. C2ES is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization.
Our organizational values: We are ambitious and practical, advancing effective solutions that push the boundaries of the achievable. We are open-minded and inclusive, seeking out and considering a wide range of voices, views, and approaches. We are people-focused, dedicated to improving human well-being and recognizing that respect and empathy are central to success. We are one team, working collaboratively, communicating openly, making ourselves accessible to each other, and treating one another with kindness and respect.
The Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES) seeks a Press Secretary to direct media engagement and execution of C2ES’s communications strategy. Primary responsibilities include direct media engagement, production of talking points and media releases, and managing print interviews and tv and radio bookings. The Press Secretary will also support development of communications strategy, management of the C2ES website, social media strategy, execution of live and virtual events, and other activities promoting C2ES products and activities to engage policymakers, the business community, the energy and climate research community, other stakeholders, and the general public. Qualified applicants will have 3 or more years of communications experience, strong existing relationships with climate and energy media contacts, excellent written and verbal communications skills, and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintain and develop relationships with climate and energy policy reporters?and manage media inquiries for staff and background information
- Draft press releases and talking points for C2ES publication releases and interviews
- Develop relationships to facilitate regular radio and tv bookings?for C2ES President and fellows and manage necessary media training
- Manage media lists and social media engagement with journalists
- Draft media plans for product and publication rollouts, including fact sheets and resources for journalists
- Maintain a catalog of issue-focused talking points to be deployed and updated as needed
- Coordinate background meetings with reporters and fellows or senior staff
- Collaborate to plan and execute in-person and virtual events
- Act as spokesperson for C2ES as necessary.
- Maintains an active and extensive network of influential reporters and columnists in the fields of climate, energy, environment, economics, and financial institutions, working in in the United States and internationally
- Excellent written and oral skills
- 3 or more years of work experience in the communications field, including extensive experience working with and pitching journalists with tier one outlets and trade publications
- Ability to think critically and work collaboratively and/or independently as needed
- Proficiency in WordPress, Cision, Canva, Zoom Webinar, Adobe Creative Cloud suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro is preferred
- Willingness to learn and pitch in at all levels
- Undergraduate degree in communications, public policy, environmental studies, or a related field.
Starting Date:?As soon as possible
Application Deadline:?Rolling until position is filled
Salary: $75,000-92,000 annually, depending on background and experience. Excellent benefits.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and multiple writing samples
- Please submit 2-4 writing samples
- Preferred writing samples include articles, op-eds, blogs, newsletters, speeches, fact sheets, and other media materials
Reporting to: Vice President of Communications.
Employment Status: Full-time, benefits-eligible; exempt from overtime.
Location: C2ES operates a hybrid work environment from our main office in Arlington, Virginia. Preference will be given to applicants in (or willing to move to) the Washington, DC area. We will, however, also consider remote applicants for this position.
- Health Insurance. C2ES covers 80% of the health insurance premiums.
- Dental Insurance. C2ES covers 100% of the dental premiums.
- Vision Insurance: Employee covers the total cost of this plan.
- Long Term Disability and Short Term Disability.
- Group Life insurance and Voluntary Life insurance.
- Leave Time: New employees start with 3 weeks’ vacation per year.
- Sick time: up to 10 days per year.
- Personal Leave: Up to Two personal leave days.
- FMLA Leave: Case by case is evaluated by the Supervisor and HR.
- Holidays: C2ES observes 12 holidays during the year. Additionally, the organization closes the last week of year.
- Flexible environment.
- Hybrid scheduled if local to area.
We also are fully committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. We believe we will only be effective in developing and advocating for climate solutions if we have a diverse range of voices and perspectives represented within C2ES, in our work, and among our partners. C2ES is committed to creating and growing a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and among the stakeholders we collaborate with and convene. By fostering this culture, we can enhance our work and amplify our impact. We encourage individuals of all races, ethnicities, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, sexual identities, and abilities to apply for this position. For more on C2ES’s DEIJ policy, visit: https://www.c2es.org/about/diversity-equity-inclusion-and-justice.
Job posted: 2023-05-25