Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Policy Manager
The Public Policy Manager directs and manages federal, state and local governmental affairs and advocacy efforts in Wyoming. The Manager will promote the mission of the organization by building and mobilizing grassroots advocacy; interacting with policy makers, committees, and coalitions; and communicating the Association’s issues and public policy priorities. This position is located in the Wyoming chapter in Cheyenne or Laramie. Chapter office is in Cheyenne.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides leadership for the development and execution of public policy platform priorities at the state level in collaboration with the national public policy office and the Chapter Executive.
- Oversees all efforts and activities to advance the state-level public policy priorities, including working with state elected officials, collaborative partners, and state agencies, including the public health department, as appropriate.
- Recruits, trains, and mobilizes volunteer advocates to advance both state and federal public policy priority issues.
- Monitors committee meetings and legislative action during federal and state legislative sessions as well as in between sessions.
- Plans and implements Alzheimer’s Advocacy Day at the state capitol.
- Manages the volunteer Alzheimer’s Association Ambassadors Program to strengthen relationships with each member of Congress from the state.
- Provides updates of state and federal legislative matters pertaining to Alzheimer’s to all chapter staff, chapter boards, Ambassadors and other advocates.
- Implements media outreach, both social and traditional, that promotes the Association’s public policy agenda.
- Develops alliances with similar organizations in order to advance issues of importance to the Association at the state level.
- Serves actively in select number of community coalitions and joint advocacy efforts as assigned, providing leadership based on both state and national public policy initiatives and ensuring that our health care system reflects awareness of and ability to serve individuals with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Liaisons with and leads state recruitment efforts for the Alzheimer’s Impact Movement (AIM).
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field. An equivalency of work experience and education may be considered
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience working in state-level government a?airs or with a state legislature and/or working in grassroots advocacy, volunteer management or community organizing, preferably with non-pro?t organizations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with the legislative, regulatory and budget processes
- Familiarity with health, senior, aging and long-term care issues
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to speak publicly in large and small groups
- Detail oriented, adaptable, organized and able to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks
- Ability to work e?ectively with diverse populations with a high level of integrity, diplomacy and initiative
- Ability to self-start, multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to work with attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and ability to use other software and databases
- An understanding of Alzheimer’s disease/dementia and basic understanding of public health preferred
- Have current contacts within the state legislature and executive branch, and with potential partners and collaborators in Wyoming preferred
- Ability/willingness to travel as needed to perform job duties
- Access to a reliable vehicle, a valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs
Job Title: Public Policy Manager Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Full time based on minimum of 37.5 hours/week
Grade: 106 Exempt
Reports To: Chapter Executive Director
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer’s and all other dementia – by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,700 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org/jobs to find out more about who we are and why we’ve been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last eleven years in a row.
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, long term care insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous Paid Time Off, 12 annual holidays and Paid Family Leave, as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day and an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!
Job posted: 2023-05-02