Public Relations Specialist
The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) the largest society in the world for professionals in the field of operations research (O.R.), management science, and analytics is searching for a Public Relations Specialist.
The Public Relations Specialist will work with the Director and others to shape and share stories and information that enhance INFORMS’ success in engaging with the media. This includes increasing the media’s awareness and interest about how INFORMS’ member experts use operations research and analytics to help save lives, save money and solve problems, as well as elevating INFORMS’ overall thought leadership profile and that of its different programs and services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collaborate with the Director and other team members to develop and implement innovative strategies, tactics and messages for outreach to the media and other key external audiences.
• Write, coordinate, disseminate and track news releases, advisories, fact sheets, articles, commentaries, speeches and other content, consistent with INFORMS positions, and coordinate with the Manager, Communications and external contractors to ensure effective preparation, distribution and usage of INFORMS messages and materials.
• Engage other INFORMS departments and key member volunteers on the development of story ideas and press material.
• Build and maintain relationships with media and pitch timely and targeted story ideas, press releases and other content.
• Create public relations reports that show activities, outcomes and impacts of public relations efforts and work with the director and others to determine opportunities for growth in success and content engagement.
• Coordinate public relations content and calendar with other department leads for email newsletters, IOL, Connect, Facebook, and Twitter and other channels.
• Build and maintain a list of INFORMS member experts on key topics. Provide support and INFORMS talking points to member experts to facilitate message consistency and amplification.
• Track developing public narratives and trends about analytics and operations research to ensure the marketplace has an accurate understanding of these fields and related issues and to capitalize on current events on behalf of INFORMS and our members.
• Contribute story ideas, articles, commentary and other content for INFORMS communication channels (e.g., ORMS Today, Analytics, INFORMS Online, social media and other channels).
• Proofread communications materials and reports for accuracy, relevance and use of AP style and plain language.
• Collaborate with the Manager, Communications for maintaining INFORMS news room and other relevant website sections.
• And, all other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism or Communications
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in communications / public relations / media relations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and experience handling comprehensive
communications projects, including knowledge of AP style.
- Experience communicating about technical subject matter preferred.
- Ability to develop and share new and creative ideas.
- Strong networking and partnership skills combined with robust influencing abilities.
- Keen understanding of integrated communications, including social media concepts and tools.
- Ability to deliver compelling results under tight deadlines, and to effectively collaborate with
a wide range of management styles and competing priorities.
Must have the ability to perform moderately strenuous activities including but not limited to sustained activities (continual bending, stooping etc.) and lifting and moving packages up to 25lbs.
Please send letter of interest and resume to email@example.com
Job posted: 2019-04-27