The Regulatory Specialist provides technical expertise and support in product labeling, nutrition and regulatory guidance for Ferrara. The position provides broad-based labeling and nutrition guidance, ensures the technical accuracy of product labels, and develops and maintains appropriate records to meet corporate, government and consumer expectations. This role is part of the Innovation & Technology group (InTech). InTech houses regulatory, specification, innovation packaging, product development, and global expansion and platform innovation research capabilities.
- The Regulatory Specialist works closely with Product Development, Specification, Procurement, Project Management, Legal and Quality teams. Provides support to other teams as necessary.
- Holds foundational knowledge of raw materials (macros and micro nutrients), ingredient functionality, Standard of identity, etc. as they pertain to labeling.
- Works closely with Specifications team to review and approve raw material specs.
- Maintains Genesis RM records to support government label compliance standards.
- Independently reviews and substantiates claims. Provides regulatory guidance on claims to the organization.
- Independently writes and validates technical label copy (FLS) through application of FDA regulations and the standards and principles of nutrition and food science.
- Submits label copy for review and approval from Corporate Legal, IQM and Quality Regulatory teams.
- Reviews and approves label art files in conjunction with cross-functional teams.
- Provides nutritional, labeling, and regulatory expertise such that the business goals of the divisions are supported and advanced to ensure regulatory compliance and responsible marketing and sales actions.
- Keeps abreast of current regulations and helps assess impact on labeling of our product portfolio.
- Provides nutrition guidance to support departments as appropriate by developing and maintaining ingredient and nutritional analyses of product recipes.
- Provide technical guidance as appropriate in response to product-related consumer inquiries.
- Maintains a proactive approach by identifying and implementing opportunities for continuous improvement in all aspects of the team’s operation and in the divisions’ business as related to labeling, regulatory and nutrition.
- Will assume responsibilities as assigned to facilitate this process.
- Maintains high level of professionalism in all interactions within team as well as with cross-functional teams.
- Grows internal regulatory team capabilities.
- Takes on additional initiatives and responsibilities above and beyond the Associate level.
- Understands and demonstrates the Company’s core values (empowering, agile, collaborative, and lead with integrity).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High level of demonstrated ability managing multiple priorities with tight deadlines
- Passionate about the field of food regulatory, with a leading with integrity mindset
- Organized, detail-oriented, and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Comfortable communicating with stakeholders from all levels of management
- Self-directed, motivated, and excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Knowledge of: ESHA Genesis or similar food labeling program, SAP, Microsoft Office suite, Label Review software (DragonFly or similar), SharePoint, and knowledge of PLM system is a plus
- Knowledge of food product development and processes is a plus
Education and Experience
- B.S. in Food Science, Nutrition, Biology, Engineering or related field required, MS preferred
- 5 years’ experience working for a food manufacturer with minimally three years of experience in the application of government labeling regulations for a Consumer Packaged Goods company
Job posted: 2020-05-06