Senior Communications Associate
The Raben Group is a national public policy and strategic communications firm committed to opening the doors of power and influence for lasting inclusive change.We were founded with a lofty goal and an audacious spirit: to make our nation greater by helping to shift public policy in a sensible, humane direction. We work intimately with policymakers and influencers in the nonprofit, corporate, entertainment, media, philanthropic, and government sectors to identify shared interests, forge new connections, tackle our country’s most intractable problems, and uplift new generations of leaders and activists.
Now at 18-years-old and 75 staff strong with offices in Washington, D.C., New York City, Los Angeles, El Paso, and Cleveland, we are proudly majority people of color, majority women, and a certified LGBT Business Enterprise, affording us a unique perspective on public policy work and imbuing us with the urgency that comes from knowing all too well why this work matters. Spend time with us and you quickly learn we value smarts, creativity, and audaciousness in just about all we do… and a sense of humor is a contractual must. Learn more at rabengroup.com.
What We Need:
We seek a Senior Associate to join our Media and Communications practice group in our New York, NY office primarily to support The Raben Group’s client teams and engagements. Senior Associates have hands-on expertise, contextual knowledge, strong critical thinking abilities, the desire to develop and the tactical skills to advance the strategic mission and vision of The Raben Group and further the development and success of our Media and Communications practice group in providing excellent client services and engaging prospective clients.
Our successful candidate will have a high degree of initiative, personal resilience, attention to detail, intellectual engagement in the subject-matter at hand, and a concierge-like approach to client services.
- Strategic Communications: Create, implement, and monitor strategic and tactical communications plans and public relations strategy on behalf of The Raben Group’s clients.
- Media and Public Relations: Serve as a media liaison for various clients, maintain relationships with reporters and columnists, and manage appropriate press lists of contacts at local, state and national news media outlets, as well as ethnic media and new digital outlets.
- Marketing and Branding: Provide advice on client branding initiatives, including assisting with outsourced creative design, development of appropriate material for in-house use and creation of marketing tools.
- Positioning and Messaging: Guide clients through strategic messaging and positioning engagements to more effectively help them reach specific audiences and deliver the right messaging that sets them apart from other organizations.
- Project Management: In coordination with client team leads, oversee the execution of communications plans and tactics, including supervision, management and mentoring of support staff.
- Writing and Content Development: Draft and/or edit press releases, opinion editorials, media advisories, website and social media content, reports, memos, surveys, presentations, and other public relations content and collateral.
- Internal and External Engagement: Engage directly with internal teams and external clients, contributing to strategy and counsel, responding to requests, participating in on-site facilitation of trainings and workshops, and coordinating various aspects of service delivery.
- Event Management: Assist in the planning, coordination, and staffing of media events, convenings, conference calls, trainings, panels, etc., including venue logistics, registrations, and on-site support. Build awareness and excitement around client events and engagements.
- Contribute to the organizational goals of the firm’s Strategic Communications practice group.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3 – 5 years experience working in the field of communications or public relations; prior experience in political or public policy communications preferred.
- Thorough understanding of the media landscape nationally.
- Ability to develop communications and advocacy strategies.
- A collaborative and relationship-building mindset.
- Strong writing, layout and editing skills; experience with desktop publishing tools;
- Strong oral and written communications skills are a non-negotiable requirement. Candidates must have the demonstrable ability to quickly produce clear, compelling written collateral.
- Ability to thrive and manage shifting priorities under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrable project management skills across multiple assignments with many moving parts.
- Prior event coordination experience preferred.
The Raben Group finds it quite natural to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, living the values of diversity and inclusiveness in everything we do.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-29