Senior Communications Director
The Hatcher Group seeks to hire a talented senior communications professional with experience in K-12 and higher education policy to help support and manage our extensive portfolio of education clients.
Our education team leads strategic communications and outreach campaigns for foundations, nonprofit organizations and coalitions, institutions of higher education, and state and federal agencies. We embrace work that expands opportunity for all young people to learn and succeed.
This position will work with our education clients, leading collaborative teams that develop and implement a wide range of communications strategies, plans, and tools. The role is ideal for the seasoned communications professional with a background in education policy who wants to be part of a talented, committed, and collaborative firm. This person will work closely with the firm’s education team and leadership team to meet the needs of existing clients and help cultivate new opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage project for clients in our diverse education-focused portfolio
- Supervise project-based teams to deliver high-quality products on time and on budget
- Provide subject matter expertise in K-12 or higher education policy and outreach strategy
- Support business development activities, including proposal development, thought leadership and networking
- Develop and implement strategic communications plans, including compelling narratives and messaging to advance clients’ goals
- Write and edit content, including press releases, media advisories and other materials, identify media prospects, and pitch media outlets
- Coordinate with graphic design and video teams to create high-caliber materials
- Coordinate with digital team to develop and implement effective social and digital media strategies
Qualifications and Skills:
- 10 years of public relations/communications experience, including managing staff and leading teams, preferably at an agency (nonprofit clients desired, but not required)
- Outstanding writing skills and expertise in different types of writing, including reports, press releases, blog posts, social media posts, and policy-focused documents; familiarity with AP Style conventions
- Ability to manage and mentor junior staff
- Experience in communications involving public education, equity, and social justice issues
- Ability to translate complex education policy and data to professional and mainstream audiences
- Excellent client-management skills and ability to manage multiple projects
- Demonstrated track record of creating and implementing effective communications campaigns
- Experience with media relations and ability to generate press coverage for clients
- Experience and interest in networking and pursuing new business
About The Hatcher Group
The Hatcher Group is a full-service communications and marketing firm, powered by purpose. We are hard-working and visionary strategists with big hearts who delight in the power of communications and good ideas. Our award-winning team includes persuasive storytellers, digital media mavens, savvy public relations pros, accomplished multimedia designers, creative visual artists, unflappable event planners, and compassionate policy advocates.
Our proud commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace not only drives our organizational culture, it’s the special sauce that allows us to deliver exceptional work.
The Hatcher Group is a Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, with offices in Baltimore and Annapolis.
How to Apply
Please send résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2020-10-23