Senior Director, Federal Government Affairs
Altria Group is a FORTUNE 200 company that owns the premier tobacco companies in the United States including Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, John Middleton, and Nat Sherman. These include some of the industry’s most enduring premium tobacco brands include Marlboro, Copenhagen, Skoal and Black & Mild.
We complement our total tobacco business with our ownership of Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, one of the country’s top premium wine producers; our significant equity investments in Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s largest brewer; Juul, a leading e-vapor company; and Cronos Group, a leading Canadian cannabis company.
Altria’s mission is to own and develop financially disciplined businesses that are leaders in responsibly providing adult tobacco and wine consumers with superior branded products.
Altria Client Services’ role is to provide high-quality services to the Altria family of companies. We are currently seeking a highly qualified Senior Director, Federal Government Affairs, to join our Government Affairs department in Washington, DC. The successful candidate will develop and implement legislative and political strategies and programs to support Altria companies’ initiatives and protect or promote company interests in the U.S. Congress and federal policy arena.
Specific accountabilities include:
- Establishing, developing, and maintaining effective working relationships with members of Congress and their staff, key executive branch and federal agency officials, trade associations and industry coalitions.
- Maintaining comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of Altria companies’ businesses in order to effectively identify, represent and advocate company positions and interests before Congress and in the federal policy arena.
- Researching, analyzing, and evaluating proposed and existing federal legislation and regulations of importance to Altria Group and its family of companies, shareholders, employees, business partners, and adult consumers.
- Preparing and presenting information and recommendations to the VP of Federal Government Affairs and the SVP of Corporate Citizenship and Government Affairs.
- Communicating directly with company executives to provide timely updates on the status and progress of legislative and regulatory issues.
- Preparing letters, talking points, issue summaries, and white papers related to relevant legislative topics.
- Informing, engaging and negotiating with a broad and diverse group of internal and external stakeholders to positively impact legislative and regulatory outcomes.
- Building and managing industry and legislative coalitions to assist in accomplishing key objectives.
- Participating in the management of external consultants
- A Bachelor’s degree with a strong preference for advanced education in a related discipline (i.e. Law, Tax, Political Science).
- A minimum of 8 years of related experience, preferably gained on Congressional staff, in a federal regulatory agency, a lobbying group, or trade association.
- Extensive knowledge of the federal legislative process and regulatory processes.
- Very strong interpersonal, written and presentation skills successfully applied in advocacy and negotiation roles.
- Effective relationship building and collaboration skills.
Altria Group holds diversified positions across tobacco, alcohol, and cannabis. Our tobacco companies include some of the most enduring names in American business: Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, John Middleton and Nat Sherman. We complement our total tobacco business with our ownership of Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, our significant equity investment in Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s largest brewer; Juul, a leading e-vapor company; and Cronos Group, a leading Canadian cannabis company.
Altria Client Services’ role is to help Altria Group and its operating companies responsibly meet their business goals by providing the high-quality services they require in a financially disciplined way. We believe in developing the leadership potential of our employees by providing opportunities for training, development, and advancement.
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our deferred profit sharing and incentive compensation programs as well as a relocation assistance package.
Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-11