Senior Manager of Communications
The Senior Manager of Communications is a key staff position for Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety (Advocates) (www.saferoads.org). Founded in 1989, Advocates is a (501)(c)(4) lobbying organization with board members representing the leading consumer, health and safety organizations and the major property and casualty insurance companies and associations working together to prevent motor vehicle crashes, deaths and injuries. It is a highly successful organization whose views are sought by elected officials, major media outlets and opinion leaders. The position reports to the President and requires daily collaboration and coordination with all staff members as well as board directors and the organizations they represent. The ideal candidate should have a degree in journalism, public relations or similar field, strong writing and interpersonal skills, ability to develop working relationships with national and local members of the press, experience in using social media for advocacy, aptitude for working independently and proactively, and ability to handle multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing a communications strategy;
- Media relations, including writing press releases, statements, articles, opinion editorials, blogs and letters to the editor, and making pitch calls to the press;
- Timely response to media requests and deadlines, preparing information and developing message points;
- Maintaining Advocates’ website including updating materials in a timely manner;
- Providing communications support for state, federal and regulatory programs;
- Managing and expanding social media outreach and media contact lists;
- Assisting in the creation of development materials;
- Working with communications staffs of safety partners, i.e. Members of Congress, state elected officials, and consumer organizations; and,
- Directing, planning and preparing for events such as press conferences, and other media-related or organizational activities.
Please email a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and a copy of your resume to Lisa Drew, firstname.lastname@example.org. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Thank you for your interest in the position.
Job posted: 2019-01-29