Senior Marketing Manager
ABOUT BOSTON WHILE BLACK
Boston While Black (BWB) is an exciting new startup that launched in 2020 and is growing at a fast rate. BWB is the first membership network for Boston-based Black professionals, entrepreneurs, and students who are seeking connection and community. We are creating a city where Black people want to live and work because they have the spaces, tools, and relationships to find their tribe, grow their network, navigate the city, and have fun. We host programs, events, and a digital community that connect members who are active in their local neighborhoods, working at the most innovative companies, building the businesses of the future, attending the area’s universities, and shaping the culture of the region.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Senior Marketing Manager will join a growing team and be a critical contributor to our overall marketing vision during a time of strategic opportunity for the company. This leader will collaborate closely with our Founder & CEO and staff across the organization in order to vividly represent BWB’s vision and goals. Reporting to the Founder & CEO, the primary responsibilities of the Senior Marketing Manager will be to develop and oversee BWB’s overall marketing strategy, own and scale our customer and corporate acquisition, drive public engagement and media relations for the company, and support staff in powerfully communicating BWB’s vision and goals. Given BWB’s growth, this role is newly formed and the Senior Marketing Manager will play a pivotal role in building systems in addition to shaping processes, culture, and the company we build in the years to come.
Lead Customer Acquisition Strategy
- Own, measure, and improve our customer acquisition strategy – how we move members and sponsors from lead generation to acquisition to conversion.
- Conceptualize and execute campaigns that grow our membership and corporate sponsors through awareness, activation, engagement, conversion, and retention.
- Use email and in-app notifications to serve content that will educate members, encourage them to explore, reward them for their engagement, and help them discover new features and value.
- Take an active role in interacting with members to gather market insights.
- Liaison to agency or freelancers to generate content related to SEO strategy, website, video, blog, etc.
- Collaborate with our Founder & CEO in creative meetings, then strategically conceptualize, create, and implement our entire marketing efforts from start to finish.
Build Internal Communications Frameworks
- Research and implement a CRM system and continuously put strategic operational systems in place.
- Identify KPIs and lead the presentation of monthly marketing performance results to the CEO.
- Provide content leadership for the marketing team, including developing quarterly and monthly content calendar, and provide in-house expertise on platform utilization.
- Create and manage email content calendar, email lists, and market segmentation.
Develop Communications Strategy
- Own overall tone and voice across content channels and the company, sharing best practices, training team members, and creating guides.
- Manage key aspects of communications campaigns and rollouts – print and digital; use data to evaluate and report results, offering recommendations for improvements.
- Develop communications strategy with corporate sponsors and act as a PR contact.
- Collaborate with our Founder & CEO, Graphic Designer, Social Media Specialist, and Membership Manager to set the strategy for our target audiences, business goals, and growth opportunities.
- Own content creation, working cross-functionally to create alignment and develop strategy across various mediums, such as website, email, reports, blogs, social media, video, slide decks, and events.
- Identify and help secure speaking engagement opportunities for our Founder and CEO.
THE FOLLOWING IS LIKELY TRUE OF OUR NEW SENIOR MARKETING MANAGER’S EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years of marketing experience in a membership, community, or customer-driven company. Experience with driving corporate sponsorships is a plus.
- Ability to synthesize information (campaign metrics, survey findings, etc.) into actionable marketing strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for extensive writing, presenting/selling ideas, and external storytelling.
- Experience in project scoping, identifying roles and responsibilities, and driving implementation.
- Hands-on experience with marketing automation tools (MailChimp, HubSpot, Marketo, SalesForce, Pardot etc.).
- Experience selecting, implementing, and managing a CRM system.
- Experience with web analytics (Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics), SEO optimization, and UTM tracking.
- Knowledge of paid marketing channels, paid search (Google AdWords), retargeting, and social network advertising.
- Advanced PP presentation skills – ability to design a cohesive, well-structured story around key insights or workflows.
- Demonstrates successes in customer marketing, lifecycle marketing, growth-hacking, or lead generation.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS & NECESSARY COMPETENCIES
- A deep commitment to and passion for the goals of Boston While Black.
- Creative, bold, and brave about finding and learning new, compelling ways to reach and communicate with internal and external audiences.
- Passion for impactful storytelling that respects the diversity of our communities, with particular attention to the nuances of representation along spectrums of identity.
- A strong relationship-builder, empathetic listener, and giver and receiver of direct and supportive feedback in order to connect to, engage and inspire others towards outcomes, as well as for personal growth.
- Highly collaborative spirit, with a strong ability to project manage and get things done (individually and through others) in a fast-paced, dynamic environment; and strong ownership of personal actions and team outcomes.
- Strong time management skills and an ability to stay organized and give attention to details while managing diverse tasks, activities, and projects.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to maintain professionalism with diverse stakeholders.
- Comfort using technology and platforms such as Google Docs/Sheets and MS Office applications.
- Passion for working in a small, fast-paced, startup environment where decisions happen fast, and we learn by doing.
- Ready to contribute to a collaborative, cross-functional team that is focused on results, while having fun.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS PREFERRED
- Driven language lover that has a passion for creating buzz.
- Committed to our mission and ready to create something with major impact.
- Deep knowledge of trends, interests, issues, experiences in Black culture.
- Proficient local language and understanding of Boston’s local context, issues, and events.
- B.A. or B.S. degree, or equivalent experience.
- Comfortable with a fully remote team and able to travel to various meetings and events if needed.
This is a permanent, full-time position. The salary for this role is between $70,000-$85,000 and dependent on experience. After one year, a performance review will be conducted to assess an increase in the compensation and benefits package.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and your chosen writing sample to HIRING@BOSTONWHILEBLACK.COM
Job posted: 2021-02-20