Social Media Manager
Social Media Manager
The George Mason University Office of Communications and Marketing is looking to hire a Social Media Manager. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the position
The Social Media Manager implements George Mason University’s Social Media Strategy, developing brand awareness, generating inbound traffic and encouraging engagement and awareness of the university. Reporting to the Director, Social Media, the Social Media Manager coordinates with Marketing, Creative Services and Strategic Communications to support their respective missions, ensuring consistency in voice and cultivating a social media referral network.
The incumbent will be responsible for developing and overseeing the execution of strategic social media and digital initiatives, including developing and managing marketing campaigns, creating and supervising high profile channels, and integrating interactive media into overall business strategies. Other duties may include search engine optimization/search engine marketing integration, monitoring and analysis of social media trends and their impact on the university, and supervision of the Social Media Coordinator.
- Develop and execute a broad social media strategy, coordinating with stakeholders across the university to ensure its effectiveness;
- Oversee and manage the university’s presence across all social media properties, building and cultivating a vibrant community while maximizing brand equity, engagement, site traffic, and lead generation;
- Implement social media campaigns and manage day-to-day activities of the Social Media Unit. Maintain social media web site. Duties include online advocacy, writing editorial, community-outreach efforts, promotions, etc.;
- Ensure that social media techniques are strategic and focused to expand the university’s brand, increase visibility among existing followers, attract and engage new followers;
- Collaborate with and lead a group of strategic social media stakeholders across the university departments and units.
- Become an advocate of the university in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate;
- Manage an outreach program and build an active brand ambassador network to build awareness and enhance perceptions of the university;
- Develop measurement plan defining metrics for success;
- Monitor effective benchmarks for measuring the impact of social media programs, and analyze, review, and report on effectiveness of campaigns to maximize results;
- Regularly provide feedback and data-driven insights gained from social media monitoring to evolve communications strategies in a timely fashion;
- Monitor trends in social media tools, technologies and applications;
- Supervise the Social Media Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication or English or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- 5+ years of experience in social media, public relations, communications, reporting or writing;
- Strong project management and organizational skills;
- In-depth knowledge of social media platforms and their respective participants, and how each can be deployed in different scenarios;
- Demonstrated ability to map out a social media strategy and then drive that strategy;
- Understands what it means to shoulder the communication of a brand;
- Demonstrated success in building a large online community on behalf of a brand, growing both the size and level of engagement of its members;
- Demonstrated ability to integrate social media programs into overall marketing objectives and activities;
- Demonstrated success in measuring, reporting, and analyzing program results using such tools as Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics;
- Ability to work with and lead multiple teams simultaneously – both internal and external – in a dynamic fast-paced environment;
- Team player, with the confidence to effectively take the lead and guide other stakeholders when necessary.
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
Job posted: 2020-11-08