Sr. Director of Communications
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
Planet is seeking an experienced, strategic corporate communications leader to join the communications team. This person will build our growing brand and work to establish Planet as the leading Earth data platform and business within the financial and business media. He or she will also lead media communications related to significant business milestones and company achievements. As a leader on the Corporate Communications team, this person will support both proactive and reactive priorities for our business objectives.
The successful candidate will be results driven, a strategic long-term thinker, and love to brainstorm creative ideas to solve problems. A track record of using good judgement to make tough calls on deadline is a must-have.
This role reports to the Vice President of Corporate Communications and is based in San Francisco.
What You’ll Do
- Develop corporate communications strategies in support of business objectives
- Lead and execute corporate and business media communications and evolve corporate story
- Develop creative story ideas and strategic narratives that increase understanding of Planet’s business model and mission, the value we deliver as an Earth data platform, and our long-term growth opportunities
- Work with executive leadership team to prepare for media interviews and public appearances
- Partner with Marketing and Product teams to align messaging to broader corporate narrative
- Manage and build media relationships with a focus on business facing press
- Create, drive and execute a range of communications plans, as well media engagements
- Execute frequent media outreach around business events, including backgrounding reporters, error correcting and facilitating client media interviews, as appropriate
What You’ll Need
- 10+ years relevant communications experience with time spent in a public company
- Business acumen and fluency in the fundamentals of financial communications
- Strong, concise writer who is comfortable selling ideas both internally and externally
- Mission driven and a team player
- Self-starter, a doer, creative, problem-solver, critical thinker
- Collaborative attitude: ability to bring people together
- Comfortable with tight deadlines and a fast-paced environment where things move and change quickly
- Track record of successfully leading major business and financial communications programs
- Proven skilled media relations strategist and practitioner with “tier one” and business media relations experience
- Thrives under pressure and can handle multiple projects in a demanding, deadline-oriented environment, while maintaining meticulous attention to detail
- Communicates clearly and analytically
- Pays close attention to detail and quality
- Adept at solving problems and resolving conflicts
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please… do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-12