Sr Director, Public Affairs
The Senior Director of Public Affairs leads our ongoing efforts to develop and execute strategies that advocate Emergent’s broad public agenda and shape a more favorable environment for our business. S/he will manage our Public Affairs team, reporting to the SVP, Global Communications & Public Affairs, and working closely with the Global Government Affairs team.
This position will be responsible for creating and overseeing external efforts to shape public opinion in support of the company’s policy and legislative priorities at the federal, state, and international level. S/he will also ensure the company is proactively managing key issues and will play a leadership role in crisis management.
The Senior Director of Public Affairs will also oversee the company’s corporate social responsibility programs and ensure that it aligns with and advances Emergent’s corporate mission and strategy, builds shared value with core stakeholders, and increases both internal and external engagement in the company’s social programs.
S/he will oversee the effort to create alliances and build credibility on behalf of the company with key organizations in Washington, DC, targeted states, and in critical markets around the world, as well as with third-party organizations, patient groups, business groups, civic organizations, NGOs, think tanks, and others as required by our business and public policy goals.
- Create comprehensive public affairs strategies and sophisticated advocacy capability on complex subjects in support of the company’s business priorities
- Build relationships and alliances with influencers and organizations—both non-partisan and across the political spectrum—that can help advance the company’s mission
- Evolve our corporate social responsibility platforms to align with our company’s mission and increase engagement
- Ensure a proactive issues management mindset at the enterprise level and across the business units
- Maintain strong awareness of relevant public policy debates and media trends, and align public affairs programs accordingly
- Draft compelling narrative to communicate about and advocate for company priorities to key stakeholders
- Lead crisis management and serve as a company spokesperson as needed
- Lead, mentor, coach and engage team members.
- Effectively coordinate activities with internal Government Affairs and Media Relations teams and external public affairs consultants
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
- At least 15 years of experience as a political campaign manager and/or as a public affairs/communications executive at a corporation, trade association or agency
- Highly refined written and oral communications skills
- Deep understanding of the connection points between business and public policy
- Fluent in multi-channel campaigns including social, digital, earned and paid media
- Understanding of how to leverage quantitative and qualitative research to inform decision making
- Political campaign, Capitol Hill and/or Executive agency experience a plus
- Collaborative style at ease in a fast-paced, matrixed environment
- Experience building relationships in DC with key organizations
- Experience as an on-the-record spokesperson with media
- Bachelor’s degree required
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS
- There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- This information is available upon request from the candidate.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-09