Sr. Manager, Public Affairs
Vigor expects all employees to enhance the atmosphere in which they work by living the Vigor Values every day.
Truth: We seek the truth, and we speak the truth
Responsibility: We act on what we know is right
Evolution: We seek mastery, and adapt to a changing world
Love: We care about the people we work with, and the world we live in
POSITION SUMMARY: An integral contributor to Vigor’s Public Affairs work including government relations at the local level, state and federal levels, community relations, external and internal strategic communications. The manager identifies and develops strategic relationships important to Vigor’s business success, advocates on issues of critical concern to Vigor, develops & deploys both internal and external communications. Role involves considerable collaboration with others internal to the organization and externally with media, community partners, and government entities. May serve as spokesperson for Vigor at times. Acts as one of Vigor’s representatives at events and external meetings. Effectively communicates Vigor’s brand, priorities and government affairs priorities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list is not intended to detail all aspects of the assigned work but is representative of the job’s overall responsibilities)
- Proactively follows legislative & regulatory proposals to identify those having potential positive or negative impact on Vigor’s business success, prioritizes issues requiring engagement, builds strategy & tactics for success. Primary responsibility for state and local government issues in Oregon, but will partner in overall government affairs efforts as needed across the company.
- Supports the company’s government affairs office and agenda by assisting in the development or original messaging on a variety of communications, including but not limited to talking points on priorities, communications to government officials, public testimony and PowerPoint overviews
- Facilitates meetings & facility tours with government leaders/staff including coordination with executives and SME’s within Vigor, drafting of briefing materials on key issues of interest.
- Together with Senior VP/Public Affairs, identifies and develops relationships with key elected officials at the local, state and federal level.
- Builds awareness of Vigor’s work, economic & community contribution with local, state and federal level government leaders.
- Works with SVP Public Affairs and other team members in developing and coordinating a broad communication strategy to enhance company branding messages from both within and outside the company. Helps assure consistency of message through all Vigor public and internal communications initiatives.
- Supports the company’s strategic communications & marketing by drafting/editing press releases, articles for general and trade media, white papers, power point presentations, speeches, testimony, internal communications to employees, web content, social media posts and other communications as needed.
- Confers with employees/leaders at all levels in the company to gather information and formulate approaches to effectively communicate with key audiences. Consults with internal stakeholders to develop communication strategies for specific situations.
- Organizes and manages internal employee Town Halls and other employee engagement efforts aimed enhancing broad understanding of company objectives
- Works closely with and helps oversee the work of public affairs consultants to assure the message is effective and consistent with the overall marketing strategy and the best return for cost.
- Establishes and maintains media contacts in general, specialized and online media including social media. Monitors various media (news, trade, government) for developments on issues of importance to Vigor, summarizes developments and apprises appropriate Vigor stakeholders
- Conducts original research on issues affecting the market sectors in which Vigor operates
Operates within general parameters and guidance, supplied by Government Affairs, but must use sound judgment and independent decision making when carrying out job responsibilities. Has the ability to influence and recommend modifying existing protocols. It requires creativity and leadership skills in managing complex needs and requests as well as strong adherence to conventions in written and spoken communications and the ability to convey a clear and consistent message to diverse audiences. Must be both a self-starter and a team player.
Will have dotted line reports (consultants) and will manage a growing communication staff.
This position maintains a variety of professional relationships and must be able to determine the appropriate level of communication and interaction for various situations. This position represents the Company through formal and informal communications with a wide array of business and government contacts and media. The ability to establish and maintain positive business relationships is key component of this position.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Adjusts rapidly to new situations warranting attention and resolution.
- Ability to present information, analysis, ideas, and positions in a clear and convincing manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of media processes.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence outcomes related to government relations objectives and articles and stories in print, broadcast, and online media.
- Adept written skills that include the ability to clearly convey a range of ideas to diverse audiences.
- Ability to work in a highly active and ever changing environment.
- Collaboratively works with others to achieve company objectives.
- Ability to independently research key issues effectively, synthesize and strategically articulate key and compelling messages
- Takes independent action to ensure company communications are consistent.
- Ability to pay attention to detail, monitors and checks work or information; plans and organizes time and resources efficiently.
- Ability to verbally articulate Vigor’s brand in public venues and appropriately initiate and respond to press inquiries.
- Ability to deliver presentations and participate substantively in discussions with various management levels within the organization.
- Highly skilled in Microsoft productivity tools such as PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Familiarity with web-based content management systems such as SharePoint, Craft CMS or WordPress preferred
- Experience with social media strategy management
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Political Science, Journalism, Communication, Business, or similar is required.
- Ten (10) years’ experience in government relations or communications, Federal government affairs experience strongly preferred.
- Experience should include successful work with various media platforms and diverse audiences.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
The physical demands for this position are moderate. Although much of the work is performed in an office setting, it also requires the ability to move throughout the shipyard and other Company facilities as the work may necessitate. This component of the work can be demanding and potentially hazardous due to the nature of the shipyard. Work involves a high activity level and pace, competing time demands, and interaction with others. Essential tasks require the use of keyboarding, phone and other office equipment usage, reading, writing, editing, and speaking. Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and travel to/from various work locations. May require working evenings and weekends, and extended hours to accomplish assigned work. There may be local travel and out-of-town travel (including air travel) with limited notice. May regularly work in an area near a service dog (Portland operations). Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While in production areas, will be exposed to all weather conditions, noise, dusts and odors. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vigor and its wholly owned subsidiaries provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veterans, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vigor complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, benefits, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-28