Strategic Communications Manager
COORDINATES WITH: VP of Public Engagement; PE Team Leads (Director of Digital Marketing & Supporter Engagement, Director of Media & PR, Content Manager, Design and Production Manager, Associate Director Constituent Product Team); and other PE team members; People, Culture, and HR department staff; Campaign Leads; Director of Marketing Strategies and other Resource Development staff; Global Programs Directors, managers, and staff.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Provides confidential and high-level strategic support to the VP of Public Engagement. Partners with PE leadership and staff to ensure collaboration among PE teams and acts as point of contact on behalf of PE with campaigning, fundraising, and programs leads in other departments. Helps VP in managing PE cost center, budget, and interns. Leads departmental meetings and ensures accomplishment of meeting objectives.
Drive strategic initiatives on behalf of the VP of PE:
· Collaborate with PE Leadership and HR teams on staffing changes, hiring, performance management, etc. Co-create long-term audience-centric Public Engagement strategy alongside VP PE and PE Leadership. Facilitate the onboarding of new PE staff inclusive of employee-specific aspects of the budgets across the PE division.
· Work with VP of PE and PE Coordinator on budgetary needs.
· Support VP of PE in creating annual PE strategy.
· Support VP PE with OUS Board and PE Committee projects by facilitating the collection of data, refining presentations and agendas, and writing communications for meetings.
· Coordinate information flow between PE, Policy & Advocacy, Global Programs and Resource Development as needed.
· Work with VP PE and other Oxfam staff on external communications projects, including major proposals for foundations and external briefs
· Develop PE internship program
· Manage Communications Coordinator and contingent resources as needed by providing coaching and performance management and development, inclusive of performance reviews and goal setting.,
· Collaborate with the Gender team to help ensure the agency’s progress on becoming a gender just organization.
Support coordination and alignment across PE division:
· Project manage cross-department communications initiatives as needed, representing PE with stakeholders in other divisions.
· Facilitate meetings for PE with the coordination of weekly and monthly priorities.
· Represent PE within internal stakeholder teams and provide strategic guidance and coordination of communications streams alongside PE Leadership Team (managers within PE)
· Gather performance reports from various PE initiatives and teams and work to share findings within and outside of the PE division.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
Will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting the responsibilities of this position, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
Will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriately for a diverse environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America’s mission and goals.
Will understand gender justice and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender justice and diversity in our workplace and programs.
Within key areas of responsibility, will have a commitment to providing a safe environment for staff, partners, and beneficiaries, and a commitment to promoting safeguarding in our workplace, programs, and the communities we serve.
Will be expected to maintain confidentiality and judgment in dealing with and exposure to sensitive information.
· Maintain strict confidentiality when required and handle sensitive information with discretion. This will include staffing, performance, and budget information and crisis communications information.
· Maintain and encourage positive attitude and energy, assisting colleagues wherever possible in solving problems.
· Represent the VP PE division in a professional manner at all times.
· Have a bias for action in responding to breakdowns in processes or coordination across PE or between PE and other departments.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, marketing or a relevant field or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
Experience and Core Competencies:
· 5-7 years of relevant work experience in communications
· Demonstrated ability to effectively and efficiently manage multiple tasks and complex logistics in a high-pressure environment
· Demonstrated ability to work with senior level staff effectively
· Excellent verbal and written communication and inter-personal skills
· Ability to anticipate, coordinate and facilitate activities with colleagues
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
· Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations with diplomacy
· Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Excellent interpersonal skills; ability working in a multi-cultural environment with ease.
· Project management
· Experience managing and developing teams
· Experience working at an international or social justice organization
Domestic (We have PE staff in DC, NY, Chicago, LA) 10%
Oxfam America is a Gender Just organization and an equal opportunity employer. We have a zero tolerance policy for any sexual harassment, exploitation, and/or abuse. We welcome all persons to apply and do not discriminate. We take measures to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-12