Vice President of Communications
National Immigration Forum (the Forum)
Vice President of Communications
The National Immigration Forum (the Forum) advocates for the value of immigrants and immigration to the nation. Founded in 1982, the Forum is a non-partisan advocacy organization, building trusted relationships to create a shared vision for immigration in America. Our innovative approach leads the conversation on the value of immigration for a stronger, richer and more vibrant America. Leveraging our policy, advocacy and communications expertise, the Forum works across diverse constituencies in communities throughout the country for comprehensive immigration and sound border security policies, balanced enforcement of immigration laws and ensuring that new Americans have the opportunities, skills, and status to reach their full potential. Visit our website at www.ImmigrationForum.org for more information about the Forum.
Reports to: Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Exempt
The Vice President of Communications works across the political spectrum to lead the organization’s communications function, including development and implementation of innovative, effective, and multifaceted communications strategies to support the Forum’s mission. The Vice President will manage and mentor a team responsible for producing a broad range of strategic communications across various platforms. Building on the Forum’s work to date, the Vice President will develop new communications strategies to engage conservative and moderate press, policymakers, and constituencies.
The ideal candidate is an innovative and skilled communicator with a passion for the Forum’s work and the ability to clearly convey the organization’s message to diverse audiences.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Communications Strategy and Leadership
- Lead development and implementation of an integrated communications plan that is aligned with the organization’s advocacy, field and corporate engagement strategies.
- Drive creation of messages and communications materials to disseminate to a variety of audiences to encourage and facilitate use of unified messages in advocacy campaigns.
- Oversee all communications program components, including media relations, digital campaigns and infrastructure, message research and development, and content creation, in support of the Forum’s advocacy, field and corporate engagement program initiatives.
- Set annual goals and prepare budget for programs in the communications portfolio. Manage the communications budget.
- Identify media, messaging and marketing opportunities that advance the Forum’s work.
- Connect with faith, law enforcement and business leaders across the country to maintain a diversity of perspectives on immigration messaging.
- Create, edit and proofread materials for external use under intense deadline pressure.
- Position the Forum as a thought leader on our priority issues in a variety of media outlets.
- Respond to press inquiries; manage participation of Forum staff in media interviews; refer press to spokespersons outside the Forum as appropriate.
- Coach the Forum’s and other organizations’ spokespersons.
- Initiate, develop and maintain positive relationships with key local and national media contacts.
- Help establish and maintain effective communications between policy, field, integration programs and communications staff to remain informed of advocacy developments and communications opportunities, and to inform staff of communications strategies and messages.
Team Development and Management
- Lead and mentor a team of communications professionals, including monitoring workload, coordinating and distributing assignments.
- Work with individual team members to establish challenging performance goals and provide direction and feedback as needed.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality staff.
- Supervise consultants to develop and execute deliverables in a timely manner.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
Candidates are to have a Bachelors’ degree and ten years of communications experience in a nonprofit organization, on Capitol Hill, or comparable arena, at least three years of which will have been related to immigration issues. Experience with development, execution and coordination of advocacy campaigns and sophisticated multimedia strategies, and direct supervisory experience required. Experience with press/media relations, marketing and communications campaigns, content creation and working with public opinion researchers to gauge public opinion and using results strategically. Knowledge of the legislative advocacy process.
This position also requires:
- An ability to plan, organize, direct and implement the full range of communications activities for a nonprofit organization.
- An understanding of the communications needs and nuances of center-right and moderate voices on immigration.
- Skill in coordinating with different teams, organizations and networks.
- Detailed knowledge of how to gain visibility for spokespersons and immigration issues in a variety of media outlets and to execute media campaigns.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, and media savviness.
- Initiative and the ability to exercise good judgment.
- History of creative and thoughtful use of technology to advance communication goals.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with the capacity to make decisions and anticipate future needs.
- A thorough understanding of and commitment to the mission and goals of the National Immigration Forum.
Salary: Negotiable – commensurate with experience. The National Immigration Forum offers a very competitive salary and benefits package.
The National Immigration Forum is an equal opportunity employer and women, people of color and ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The position will remain open until filled.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and salary requirement to email@example.com and include “Vice President of Communications” in the subject line.
Applications submitted without the required information will not be considered.
Job posted: 2020-02-27