Vice President, Communications & Marketing
Vice President, Communications & Marketing
At RISE INDY, we believe all children deserve an equitable education that prepares them for graduation and beyond. We envision a world in which every child reaches their highest potential.
We want to give voice to the students and parents experiencing injustice in our system, and to align with teachers and leaders fighting to improve outcomes for children. By involving parents, teachers, students, faith leaders, and many more in conversations about education in our community, we can amplify the voices of those who might otherwise be unheard.
Our mission is to improve student outcomes through community engagement, advocacy, and organizing.
We believe improving schools improves the community. To realize our vision, we engage those most impacted by systemic neglect, educate policymakers on the opportunity gaps for students, and organize our community to advocate for the resources and policies that will improve public education in Indianapolis.
Change should be locally led, and we must amplify all voices in our community.
As Vice President of Communications & Marketing, you will serve as a leader of our small team by creating and executing a communications strategy that advances our unique mission. This new role, based in Indianapolis, Indiana, will focus on raising the profile of a start-up advocacy organization, RISE INDY, increasing engagement with our key stakeholders, and ultimately influencing public opinion.
Major areas of responsibility include:
Strategic Communications Leadership
- Develop a strategic communications plan aligned to organizational goals that is grounded in evidence-based messaging to reach key audiences
- Lead communications projects and campaigns, tracking metrics and reporting on progress to funders and partners
- Manage a small communications team, including consultants, to ensure effective coordination of work and effective use of internal and consulting resources
- Coordinate with key partners to ensure alignment on strategy and messages
Content Creation and Storytelling
- Create core messaging that effectively communicates our mission, core values, and priorities
- Plan, write, and design communications materials, telling stories that elevate current issues, organizational successes, and the voices of the families we serve
- Develop media relationships and draft, pitch, and deliver compelling stories in local media
- Plan owned and earned media content, including managing and moderating social media posts, blog posts, and op-eds
- Lead content development and creative direction on marketing collateral and reports
Strong candidates will have the following skills and experiences:
- 10+ years of experience in public relations, communications, elections/advocacy, and/or related field
- Preference given to candidates with political campaign experience
- An unwavering commitment to community-driven change and advancing racial equity
- Experience developing, communicating, and managing complex communications and marketing campaigns across a variety of diverse stakeholders
- Access to a media network and in-depth understanding of local media opportunities; successful track record pitching and placing stories
- Skilled in transforming complex problems and ideas into compelling oral and written communications, with a portfolio of work demonstrating effective storytelling across mediums and channels (particularly in education or relevant issue areas such as healthcare, workforce development, housing, etc.)
- Experience managing social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn), websites, email marketing campaigns, and graphic design efforts
- Ideal candidate is flexible and an adaptable executor with an entrepreneurial spirit
Six values guide RISE’s culture and our work together:
- Passion: We lead with our hearts and minds in the pursuit of excellence for students and families.
- Excellence: We hold ourselves to a high standard of work for our community.
- Humility: We are in service to something greater than ourselves.
- Respect: We honor the lived experiences of all we encounter.
- Honesty: We speak truth in all situations, no matter the outcome.
- Accountability: We are clear on agreements and responsible for outcomes in our work with coalitions, community, and each other.
Three core education ideas guide all our conversations, advocacy, and actions. We have built strong, diverse coalitions who share these values and are committed to collaborative, community-centered work to build a prosperous, inclusive, anti-racist, safe, and interconnected city.
- Students will be centered in all education discussions.
- Families should be empowered to choose and advocate for what’s best for their children.
- Educators should have autonomy and flexibility to meet the needs of students.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is very competitive and dependent on experience level and qualifications. We are committed to making an offer that is externally and internally equitable. RISE INDY provides a comprehensive benefits package. We offer all employees comprehensive health insurance options, a retirement investment match, flexible paid time off, partial cell phone reimbursement and paid professional development opportunities.
RISE INDY is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
MORE ABOUT RISE INDY
RISE INDY is a startup (launched in 2019), 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization that engages in legislative advocacy and election activity. Our 501(c)(3), RISE United Indy, Inc. is a nonprofit organization that will work to educate the community about public schools in Indianapolis. RISE INDY and RISE United – are sometimes jointly referred to by the name “RISE or RISE INDY”.
To apply, please submit a resume and brief cover letter or video that responds to the questions below to email@example.com.
- What makes you a great potential fit for this role?
- Why are you interested in advancing the mission of RISE INDY?
- What is your proudest accomplishment when it comes to using storytelling to achieve tangible outcomes that advance racial equity (e.g., shifts in political attitudes, policy change)?
- Please explain which of our six organization values most align with your personal core values.
Job posted: 2021-09-27