Vice President of Policy and Communications
The Alliance for Health Policy (“Alliance”) seeks an entrepreneurial team leader and strategic thinker with deep health policy expertise to serve as our Vice President of Policy and Communications. This role will ensure that the Alliance’s educational programming and solution-focused convenings are impactful, visible, and accessed by a relevant, engaged and growing policy audience. The Vice President of Policy and Communications will report to the President and be responsible for managing a dedicated team of policy and communications professionals. The ideal candidate will have broad, sophisticated understanding of health policy and politics, strong connections throughout the field, and a demonstrated ability to get things done in a collaborative and proactive way.
If you are a passionate bridge-builder who wants to advance knowledge and understanding in health policy; if you are committed to meeting the need for an unbiased forum for constructive, solution-focused dialogue; and if you are ready to join a hard-working, mission-driven, and collaborative team – we want to hear from you.
This is a full-time position in Washington, D.C., with 100% remote status during the pandemic.
About the Alliance
For over 25 years, the Alliance for Health Policy has served as a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the tradeoffs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information. The Alliance does not lobby or advocate for positions. We conduct over 45 events and convenings per year for audiences ranging from new congressional staff to seasoned policy experts and media, in addition to maintaining an active schedule of policy development, policymaker outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
To improve health and health care by fostering a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives.
To inform solutions for improving health and health care in the United States by advancing health policy knowledge and facilitating solutions-focused dialogue among diverse stakeholders and leaders.
As an integral part of the Alliance’s senior leadership team, the Vice President of Policy and Communications will have primary responsibility for successful development and implementation of an integrated policy, government relations, and communications strategy to advance the Alliance’s mission in alignment with our strategic plan.
Leadership and Management
As a small organization with a heavy volume of influential public-facing events, the Alliance places a high priority on individual leadership, effective management, and tight collaboration. We value and support each team member’s personal and professional growth, integrity, and accountability within a framework of mutual respect and camaraderie.
The Vice President of Policy and Communications will:
- Work collaboratively with other senior leadership to develop, plan, and implement strategic priorities;
- Manage, coach, and retain a highly motivated and talented team of policy and communications professionals, with the Director of Policy and Programs and Director of External Affairs as direct reports;
- Support the internal culture and structure necessary for team communication, cohesiveness, and effectiveness, including learning, supporting, and enhancing current project management systems; and
- Support the CEO in maintaining proactive and productive Board relationships and engagement.
Policy and Programming
The Alliance mission includes two important and related components: 1) Advancing knowledge and understanding of health policy issues, and 2) Facilitating solution-focused dialogue among diverse stakeholders. All elements of our programming and the policy topics we cover reflect our nonpartisan, evidence-based, and multi-stakeholder approach to health policy issues.
The Vice President of Policy and Communications will:
- Guide strategic direction and strategic execution of Alliance’s programmatic portfolio including developing overarching annual and multi-year programmatic plans, selection of timely, relevant, and impactful policy topics and themes, and ensuring overall programmatic impact;
- Work with the Director of Policy and Programs and policy team to ensure continued top-notch execution of funded work and ensure that the Alliance delivers meaningful, unbiased, nonpartisan content throughout its programming, communications, and publications;
- Build and oversee an effective and sustainable government relations and engagement strategy to ensure that the Alliance is consistently engaging with a broad range of congressional and executive branch policymakers, experts and stakeholders, including regular and dedicated outreach and listening sessions to ensure the relevance, value, and impact of our programming in alignment with our mission;
- Represent the Alliance with key policymakers, experts and stakeholders, oversee team research on policy and political environment, and routinely incorporate insights into our policy and programming to drive impact, including ensuring that our topic selections, panelists, and work product is highly relevant, timely, and meaningful to health policy decision-makers;
- Identify and develop new programmatic initiatives through a variety of formats including in-person (when feasible), virtual, and written, that proactively anticipate audience needs and respond to a rapidly evolving policy and media environment;
- Moderate and/or facilitate selected Alliance panels, events and convenings, and represent Alliance at selected external speaking opportunities.
Communications and audience engagement
As an organization that occupies a unique space in the health policy landscape, the Alliance has a nuanced and important story to share with our audience. The Vice President of Policy and Communications will:
- Work closely with the CEO and across teams to amplify our unique role as a nonpartisan educator and convener, and ensure all programming and communications align with and promote consistent mission, message, and brand;
- Cultivate existing relationships with partner and funder organizations at senior level; contribute to expansion of programmatic funding opportunities in close collaboration with other senior leadership;
- Support development outreach and strategize with the Director of External Affairs and President to secure annual revenue from both foundation grants and corporate partnerships through new sponsorship and grant opportunities;
- Oversee development and execution of a comprehensive, long-term and proactive audience engagement and communications strategy with the Director of External Affairs and Communications and Marketing Manager to enhance and capture the Alliance’s influence, expand our visibility, and enhance our reputation;
- Manage a successful external affairs team with responsibility for ensuring the reliability and integrity of the Alliance’s branding, communications cadences, relevance, and effectiveness;
- Build and strengthen connections to media and key stakeholder audiences;
- Periodically, oversee and guide the development of research and communications materials for the CEO, including speeches, talking points and background information for media interviews and speaking engagements.
- Personal commitment to the Alliance’s mission to advance knowledge, understanding and solution-focused dialogue in health policy as a nonpartisan, unbiased convener;
- Ability to direct our policy and communications portfolio to maintain nonpartisan, unbiased brand;
- Demonstrated track record of working in a fair and collaborative manner with individuals who hold diverse perspectives;
- Sophisticated understanding of current health policy issues, stakeholders, themes, and trends;
- Politically savvy, with an understanding of political minefields and nuances to ensure the Alliance presents a complete picture and can bring a diverse audience to the table to inform solutions that are substantive and realistic;
- Strong, established connections throughout the health policy field;
- Proven manager and collaborator:
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, with experience coaching and/or growing teams a plus;
- A collaborative, growth mindset and proven team player;
- Strong emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills;
- Experience, training, and/or interest in organizational development, nonprofit management, or related fields a plus.
- Excellent communicator and listener:
- Outstanding verbal, written, and listening communication skills with an ability to understand, synthesize and translate complex health policy issues to diverse audiences;
- Must possess a poised, confident, and diplomatic communications style to represent the Alliance with key partners, stakeholders, and senior leaders;
- Understands Congressional and Executive branch audiences and how to reach them;
- Professional communications experience a plus; and
- Experience moderating or facilitating a plus.
- Entrepreneurial and growth-oriented:
- Demonstrated success managing senior funder relationships;
- A strategic, versatile thinker with the ability to think both creatively and systematically to assess current offerings and develop new approaches to educating and convening our audience in a changing environment;
- Experience developing and seeing to fruition funded programmatic initiatives a plus.
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
Salary commensurate with experience. Please include salary requirements with application. The Alliance for Health Policy offers an outstanding benefits package, including:
- Platinum-level medical insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance with 80% employer-paid premium subsidy for employees and 50% for family members;
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave;
- $2 for $1 retirement contribution match, up to 10% of salary, with immediate vesting;
- Company provided life and long-term disability insurance;
- Generous paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave; and
- 100% remote work during pandemic.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to jobs[at]allhealthpolicy.org. Please put “Vice President, Policy and Communications” in the subject line. Priority deadline for applications is three weeks after posting. Applications received after that date will be evaluated as needed on a rolling basis.
Job posted: 2020-09-03