Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
VP, External Communications
Job ID: 2100004315
Our Corporate Public Relations team is focused on telling impactful stories around companywide initiatives and activities that build, enhance and protect Synchrony’s reputation.
The VP of External Communications will manage Synchrony’s external communications efforts that support the company’s new business strategy: growing its finance and payments ecosystem with new products, capabilities, partnerships and investments. This individual will raise awareness of the technology and solutions the company is building and garner mindshare with media, partners, merchants, prospects and investors.
This is a hands-on role that will involve personal leadership and execution of communications approaches. The person will report to the VP of Corporate Communications and Public Relations in Synchrony’s Corporate Communications and Brand team. The candidate should have in-depth experience in media relations, strong media contacts and excellent communications skills.
This position is remote, where you have the option to work from home. On occasion we may request for you to commute to our nearest office for in person engagement activities such as team meetings, training and culture events. To ensure the safety of our colleagues and communities, we require employees who come together in-person to be fully vaccinated. We’re proud to offer you choice and flexibility.
- Develop and lead communications outreach for Synchrony’s financing products, capabilities, partnerships and investments and support Brand awareness and business growth goals
- Shape and structure clear, compelling messages and develop proactive storytelling campaigns that reflect the company’s growth priorities
- Grow Brand awareness of Synchrony’s products and solutions through earned media and other communications strategies (speaking engagements, thought leadership)
- Identify key industry trends, issues and other timely news making opportunities related to payments, products and technology and determine strategies to elevate them
- Develop, maintain and leverage strong working relationships with key media and industry influencers
- Act as a subject matter expert and provide strong, honest counsel to internal stakeholders on external affairs and public relations implications and on areas of opportunity to amplify business priorities
- Manage and produce communications materials, including key messages, press releases, backgrounders, Q&As, bylined articles, executive briefing materials and presentations
- Prepare key spokespeople for media interviews and speaking opportunities
- Collaborate cross-functionally with many teams, including Products, Technology, Ventures and other members of the Marketing & Communications teams for a highly collaborative and effective corporate PR plan
- Act as an effective company spokesperson with press
- Use measurement tools to assess the impact of communications programs
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or experience in public relations or journalism. In lieu of degree, 8 years of public relations experience including corporate communications
- 6+ years of public relations experience (ideally a combination in-house and PR firm) with significant portion of time spent focused on corporate communications ideally in products or consumer tech
- Experience pitching business, financial and technology media
- Excellent communications skills (written and verbal) and a stellar writer who has a strong sense of quality and a creative mind set
- Experience managing external PR agencies
- Ability to translate complex business issues and concepts into easily understood narratives and messages around major industry developments and trends tailored to various stakeholders
- Product PR experience a strong plus
- Ability to foster strong relationships with key executives and act as counsel in corporate PR matters
- Takes initiative, anticipates next steps and sets high standards in all s/he does; exceptional attention to detail
- Good judgment and calm composure particularly in high pressure times
- Trustworthy and able to keep highly sensitive information confidential
- Able to independently structure and manage workflow and priorities
- Track record of helping a business seize mindshare in a competitive marketplace
- Business development mindset where communications directly contributes to business growth
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- You must be willing to take a drug test, submit to a background investigation and submit fingerprints as part of the onboarding process
- You must be able to satisfy the requirements of Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
- New hires (Level 4-7) must have 9 months of continuous service with the company before they are eligible to post on other roles. Once this new hire time in position requirement is met, the associate will have a minimum 6 months’ time in position before they can post for future non-exempt roles. Employees, level 8 or greater, must have at least 24 months’ time in position before they can post. All internal employees must have at least a “consistently meets expectations” performance rating and have approval from your manager to post (or the approval of your manager and HR if you don’t meet the time in position or performance requirement).
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
- Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
- If you need special accommodations, please call our Career Support Line so that we can discuss your specific situation. We can be reached at 1-866-301-5627. Representatives are available from 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday, Central Standard Time.
The salary range for this position is 85,000.00 – 170,000.00 USD Annual
Salaries are adjusted according to market in CA and Metro NY and some positions are bonus eligible.
Job Family Group:
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-12-29