Advocacy Communications Manager
Communications Manager, Washington or New York – TIME’S UP
TIME’S UP is looking for a Communications Manager to implement media relations strategies that inform and influence key audiences on TIME’S UP’s corporate change and legislative change initiatives. Reporting directly to the VP of Communications, you will help oversee our advocacy storytelling and campaigns strategies, while executing daily communication tactics to enhance, and demonstrate, the impact of TIME’S UP. The Communications Manager should have a demonstrated excellence in multi-channel advocacy campaigns management, with particular experience producing material for the media, responding to media requests, preparing high-impact spokespeople, and proactively securing placements in a variety of media outlets.
What You’ll Do:
- Own earned media strategy in support of TIME’S UP’s objectives related to public policy, corporate change and industry change (with an emphasis on healthcare and tech sectors) by identifying and creating opportunities to elevate TIME’S UP and its surrogates in local, national and digital media.
- Supervise day-to-day work of PR agencies related to policy and corporate change advocacy.
- Support communications initiatives by drafting pitches, press releases, statements, advisories, op-eds, talking points, briefings, message guidance, fact sheets, blog posts, advisories, remarks, roundups, reports and more.
- Create and maintain a media contacts database of key journalists, columnists and editors, and take responsibility for building and maintaining strategic relationships.
- Create and maintain a database of high-impact surrogates and influencers, and take responsibility for forging and maintaining strategic relationships.
- Monitor media coverage and keep TIME’S UP leadership and staff up to date on breaking news, earned media opportunities, and important developments through daily clips and campaign reports.
- Manage events and editorial calendar, including writing impact and recap stories, outlining schedule, managing creative materials development, and recommending overall topics for storytelling.
- Proactively identify and deploy ways to disseminate key messages and build awareness of TIME’S UP to a diverse group of audiences.
- Assist in the development, coordination and execution of events that support the goals of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience working directly with members of the media and managing communications plans, and/or as a journalist, ideally in state or federal advocacy.
- Motivated self-starter with excellent verbal/written communication skills, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to quickly develop in-depth knowledge of policy issues facing TIME’S UP with proficiency speaking and writing about them.
- Deep understanding of media and the workings of newsrooms and interview processes for both print and broadcast.
- Existing relationships with members of the political press and extensive knowledge of news media operations, including print, online, blogs and broadcast (encompassing cable, new media, podcasts, and other multimedia platforms).
- Experienced and comfortable with public speaking and cold calling reporters.
- Experience with media training specifically for broadcast and television.
- Based in DC or NYC.
- Starting salary of $75,000, commensurate with experience
- Women-inspired workplace.
- TIME’S UP is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter that details your relevant communications experience to email@example.com. Thank you!
Job posted: 2019-08-06