Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
The Partnership for Public Service is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with a big mission: we’re working to ensure the federal government is dynamic, innovative and that it effectively serves the American people. We’ve got a great team that helps make it happen.
Our staff is diverse in experience and perspective, but at our core, we share a lot of the same traits. We are mission-driven, creative, collaborative, optimistic and inclusive.
Our work is strategic, fast-paced and guided by our values:
- Passion for public service and our work toward a more effective government.
- People who promote a culture of learning, leadership, collaboration, inclusion and respect.
- Persistence to drive change, take strategic risks and deliver results.
- Promise to be trustworthy, nonpartisan and fiscally responsible.
We hire smart and friendly people who are great at what they do and good to one another in the process. Are you ready to join our team?
The Partnership for Public Service is seeking a Communications Associate to aid in the successful planning, production and distribution of the Partnership’s podcast and provide communications and marketing support for key programs such as the Center for Presidential Transition, Public Service Recognition Week and the Best Places to Work in the Federal Government rankings. This position will also provide logistical support to the Partnership’s growing work with federal communicators, including a new Assistant Secretaries of Public Affairs Roundtable.
The Communications Associate will work as part of an interdisciplinary communications team of marketing, graphic design, social media, editorial, media, and events staff, and as a result should be able to collaborate with others and contribute ideas. This person will also work closely with other Partnership teams and must be able to manage relationships and lead assigned projects from start to finish.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
Podcast production and marketing (60%)
- Assist the Senior Communications Manager with coordinating and producing the Partnership’s podcast, “Profiles in Public Service,” to include developing a show calendar, researching and booking potential guests and editing episode audio.
- Lead post-production on the show, to include audio editing of episodes, segment clipping for social media and posting to major podcast hosting platforms.
- With senior-level oversight, create a marketing plan for the podcast and coordinate with the social media associate manager and associate marketing manager to market the podcast through social, email and other outlets.
- Working with the Partnership press secretary, pitch “Profiles in Service” podcast to news outlets, reporters and other media figures, as well as potential guests.
- Identify and build relationships with podcasts and other emerging media outlets.
- Conduct research and assist in arranging interviews.
- Pre-interview guests and prepare research material for hosts. Assist in producing program material for podcast host, producers, and others.
- Draft interview questions, prepare scripts and other materials as required, with support and editing from podcast executive producer, hosts and head writer.
- Generate segment and interview ideas.
- Review podcast material and pitch ideas for interviews and pieces.
Provides communications support for key Partnership initiatives (40%)
- With senior-level oversight, assist with operations and logistics for senior public affairs network programs, including managing member data, formatting program agendas and invitations, and creating and refining marketing materials.
- Assists with project management and marketing of key Partnership programs and events including the Center for Presidential Transition, Leadership Model, Public Service Recognition Week and Best Places to Work.
- Other duties as necessary.
- Familiarity with producing and editing podcasts.
- Strong communication, analytical, writing and presentation skills, including synthesizing and translating complex information into easy-to-understand compelling messages.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven track record collaborating on projects in a team environment.
- Strong customer experience mindset.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to juggle multiple projects, work efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Very strong eye for detail and concern for quality.
- Flexibility, a can-do attitude, and willingness to pitch in.
- Familiarity with email marketing and social media best practices.
- Demonstrated political savviness and judgment.
- Commitment to the values of public service; the mission of the Partnership for Public Service; and diversity, equity and inclusion.
REQUIRED/PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, public relations, communications or similar field or equivalent military experience.
- One to two years of communications experience, which may include internships. Experience working with senior level executives preferred.
- Experience with, or willingness to quickly learn, audio editing tools such as Audacity.
- Experience with producing a podcast, to include posting on major platforms such as Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify and more, a plus.
- Familiarity with blogging and Web 2.0 functionalities.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY/REPORTING STRUCTURE
This position reports to the Senior Communications Manager. This position may supervise an intern.
This job operates in a professional office environment in Washington, DC and at external venues, both local and out-of-state. This position requires consistent use of office equipment such as computer, telephone, printer and scanner. Please note that as a result of COVID-19, Partnership staff are currently working remotely and the incumbent in this position may have the option to remain fully remote.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time exempt position with regular work hours Monday-Friday, 9 am to 6 pm. There may be occasional evening or weekend activities required.
If travel occurs, it is usually local and during the business day. Some out of the area and/or overnight travel may be required. Please note that as a result of COVID-19, the Partnership is allowing flexibility in work schedules.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Partnership offers a compensation package that includes a competitive salary; medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; long- and short-term disability insurance; a 401k program with a 4 percent employer match; opportunities for training and development; 15 days of annual leave per year, 10 days of sick leave per year, plus all federal holidays and the day after Thanksgiving off; and subsidized use of an on-site exercise facility.
The Partnership is an inclusive organization that fosters learning, collaboration and respect. We actively recruit for diversity in our workplace, believing that a range of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences contributes to our mission of revitalizing government. The Partnership for Public Service is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability; or on any other basis prohibited by law.
Effective October 15, 2021, all Partnership employees, regardless of position or physical location, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as a condition of employment. A simple unnotarized copy of the official vaccination card or a notarized COVID-19 Vaccination Form attesting to full vaccination must be provided to the Vice President of Human Resources, prior to October 15, 2021. For new employees starting work with the Partnership on or after October 1, 2021, the documentation must be provided within two weeks after the start date.
If you believe you qualify for an exception from the requirements of this policy, for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs, you must provide a letter (on letterhead) from your doctor or clergy to the Vice President of Human Resources by the above deadline. The Partnership will explore potential reasonable accommodations for you that would not cause undue hardship to the Partnership. However, such reasonable accommodations are not required and cannot be guaranteed.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-12-22