Government Relations develops and implements an effective, coordinated program to integrate Principal into the legislative and regulatory policymaking processes at the state, federal and international levels.
Our AVP of Government Relations will execute the Principal’s comprehensive Government Relations program as developed in coordination with the VP & Head of Federal Government Relations, business units and corporate centers. This individual will provide public policy expertise on legislative and regulatory matters that impact The Principal and other market participants as assigned by the VP & Head of Federal Government Relations. Represent the interests of The Principal before Capitol Hill, federal regulators, trade associations, business coalitions and consumer advocacy groups. Prioritize, disseminate and manage information within The Principal regarding important legislative and regulatory proposals, engaging company leadership to develop policy positions regarding the potential operating impact on The Principal. Effectively communicate those positions to outside constituencies on behalf of company employees, customers, and shareholders.
What you’ll do:
- Advocate in Washington on behalf of the company regarding legislative and
regulatory matters impacting the organization.
- Proactively engage with federal policy makers and other stakeholders and
serve as a key spokesperson with respect to government and regulatory affairs.
- Advance Principal’s policy positions at the company’s various trade associations.
- Actively engage in key business coalitions designed to impact legislative and
regulatory initiatives, elevating the company’s visibility and promoting the organization’s policy positions.
- Participate in strategic and long-range planning within the Government
Relations Department; support interdepartmental coordination and exchange of
information, facilitate implementation of strategic objectives and goals within
- Partner with VP & Head of Government Relations to identify opportunities to
leverage internal programs such as PrinPAC, key contacts and grassroots
- Recommend the development and maintenance of the company’s position
papers on major federal public policy issues.
- Conduct presentations for key internal/external constituent groups including
members of the senior management team, the general employee population,
agents/brokers and customers.
- Ensure strict compliance with all federal, state and local lobbying and ethics laws.
- Candidates required to have 7 plus years of Capitol Hill, Executive Branch, government relations or industry trade association experience.
- In-depth understanding of the political and legislative processes needed, including good political instincts and acumen.
- Working knowledge of legislative/regulatory matters impacting life insurance, employee benefits and asset management.
- Highly developed negotiation, analytical, strategic thinking and problem-solving skills are necessary in order to focus on short-term solutions while keeping long-range strategic plans in perspective.
- Extensive written, verbal and interpersonal skills required.
- Established ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, volunteer leaders, government officials, other organizations, and industry contacts; tact, diplomacy, and good judgment are essential.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills needed.
- Some travel may be required
- MBA, JD or master’s degree in Political Science, Government, Economics, Public Policy, Business or related field preferred.
At this time, we’re not considering candidates that need any type of immigration sponsorship now or in the future or those needing work authorization for this role. (This includes, but is not limited to students on F1-OPT, F1-CPT, J-1, etc.)
Investment Code of Ethics
For Principal Global Investors positions, you’ll need to follow an Investment Code of Ethics related to personal and business conduct as well as personal trading activities for you and members of your household. These same requirements may also apply to other positions across the organization.
While our expertise spans the globe, we’re bound by one common purpose: to foster a world where financial security is accessible to all. And our success depends on the unique experiences, backgrounds, and talents of our employees – individually and all of us together. Explore our core values, benefits and why we’re an exceptional place to grow your career.
Principal is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-27