Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
General Summary of Position
Works in the MedSTAR Communication Center and provides services including: Emergency requests to transfers critical patients to MedStar Hospitals for conditions such as heart attacks, strokes, trauma and other time sensitive emergencies; non-emergency transfer requests to MedStar hospitals; dispatches helicopters and ground critical care ambulances; requests for ambulance and wheelchair transports for all MedStar hospitals; coordination of critical responses such as in-hospital Code Heart; coordination of regional hospitals information during disasters; critical radiology communications; and other critical communications for the MedStar Health system.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Specialized and/or advanced clerical, technical or other vocational training in emergency medicine/communications acquired during 1 – 2 years of additional job-related training required
- 2 years in communications and/or healthcare such as EMT-B required
Licenses and Certifications
- National Association of Air Medical Communication Center Specialist Certification – NAACS (current or prior registration) preferred or
- NREMT – National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians-Basic (EMT-B) (current or prior registration) preferred or
- Emergency Medical Dispatcher (current or prior registration) preferred or
- Medical Assistant (current or prior registration) preferred or
- Certified Nursing Assistant (current or prior registration) preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficiency in keyboarding (>60 words/minute preferred)
- Job requires extensive keyboarding, handwriting and use of telephone equipment
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives and processes requests for scene medevac from jurisdictional emergency operations centers.
- Receives and processes requests for emergency and non-emergency patient transfers to MedStar Health hospitals.
- Dispatches and communicates with helicopters using multiple radio systems.
- Tracks aircraft and ambulance using Geographic Information Systems.
- Receives and processes requests for emergency and non-emergency patient transports to and from MedStar hospitals including helicopter, ambulance, wheelchair van and sedan.
- Completes extensive data entry in multiple systems including: Transfer requests in Golden Hour Dispatch; Transport requests in Allscripts; Flight dispatch requests in Metro Complete Flight; Dedicated ambulance dispatch in Zoll RightCAD; Registrations in Invision; Bed requests in Teletracking;
- Determines appropriate mode of transport based on patient needs.
- Contacts physician and other providers using on-call schedules and paging or other text messaging systems.
- Completes reimbursement paperwork and payor authorizations for transport.
- Coordinates MedSTAR Transport patient arrivals with receiving departments.
- Implements response protocol in the event of an aircraft or ambulance crash.
- Coordinates disaster communications during hospital disaster response (Code Orange) and mass casualty incidents.
- Assists in the orientation of new MedSTAR Transport personnel.
- Participates in on-going education, quality assurance tasks and other projects as assigned.
Why MedStar Health?
At MedStar Health, we understand that our ability to treat others well begins with how we treat each other. We work hard to foster an inclusive and positive environment where our associates feel valued, connected, and empowered. We live up to this promise through:
- Strong emphasis on teamwork—our associates feel connected to each other and our mission as an organization. In return, our effective team environment generates positive patient outcomes and high associate satisfaction ratings that exceed the national benchmark.
- Comprehensive total rewards package—including competitive pay, generous paid time off, great health and wellness benefits, retirement savings, education assistance, and so much more.
- More career opportunities closer to home—as the largest healthcare provider in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. region, there are countless opportunities to grow your career and fulfill your aspirations.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation, and research. Our team of 32,000 includes physicians, nurses, residents, fellows, and many other clinical and non-clinical associates working in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest home health provider in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar Health is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education, professional development, and personal fulfillment of our whole team. Together, we use the best of our minds and the best of our hearts to serve our patients, those who care for them, and our communities. It’s how we treat people.
Job posted: 2023-09-15