The Commercial Communications team is charged with telling the stories about Microsoft, our customers and partners in how businesses and industries are transforming through technology. Our responsibility is to both protect the company’s image and to influence positive perceptions of Microsoft and the value we can help companies achieve through digital transformation.
The Communications Director, Government will develop and manage a series of storytelling and image management campaigns around how Microsoft can enable and help support governments (federal civilian, federal defense/intelligence, state and local) in the US and around the world. This is a highly competitive with varying degrees of complication in terms of the regulatory and compliance landscape and it’s important to demonstrate that Microsoft has a winning strategy and set of solutions and the right partners to deliver value in this space. Winning in government is a key priority for the company, especially as governments invest in modernization via cloud and AI to better serve citizens. This role will be based in Washington DC and focus will be weighted on our work in the US but nonetheless is global in scope in supporting subsidiary comms teams worldwide in landing local storytelling on our government work and value proposition. This is a role with growth potential that will be key to developing and executing against the strategy to help us accelerate our efforts in the government space.
- Building and executing a clear and comprehensive communications strategy to demonstrate Microsoft’s leadership in helping governments in their effort to modernize and transform through technology.
- Media management and landing coverage with impact across trade, general and business press that focus on government – weighted on the DC media landscape but to include a range of US and global media
- Deft navigation of complex stakeholder and business partner landscape as well as tight collaboration across other communications teams to achieve common goals
- Agency management to help scale the proactive and reactive communications work, reach new audiences and achieve greater impact
- Storytelling through third party voices – rallying partners and customers to tell their own stories together with Microsoft
- Ability to respond thoughtfully under tight deadlines when tricky issues arise and need to be managed to protect Microsoft’s reputation
- Guide international field teams in how to leverage content locally in market and drive local coverage on Microsoft’s role in government
- 10 years of experience in public relations, communications, public affairs or journalism
- BA/BS or MS Degree in public relations, marketing, communications, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in storytelling, issues management, technology PR, agency management and media relations
- Ability to simplify complex technology concepts and offerings and make it relevant and compelling for media audiences is important. Also creativity and ability to write well.
- Understanding of cloud and commercial technology, government landscape and nuances
- Experience in cross group collaboration, self starter and confident presence with executives and customers/partners.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-12-04