About the role:
This is a Senior Level role reporting directly to the Senior Director of Communications.
Working as part of the global communications team, Shutterstock’s Communications Manager will develop and execute communications strategies in support of Shutterstock’s business objectives. They will be responsible for finding and generating newsworthy stories, as well as developing media materials, pitching reporters and helping develop Shutterstock’s brand presence. They will have strong media relationships across business, tech, creative and advertising outlets and will have a proven success record in securing compelling media coverage. The Communications Manager will be both a strategic thinker and a doer. They will be creatively inclined with an eye for engaging visual content. They will collaborate with the internal communications, product marketing, content marketing and social media teams to coordinate announcements, product launches and brand initiatives. They will also be responsible for protecting Shutterstock’s brand reputation and have experience managing crisis communications.
- Identify and develop newsworthy stories to support the communications strategy.
- Proactively create publicity opportunities relating to industry trends, business and tech news, advancing the creative community, partnerships and executive visibility.
- Actively pitch reporters and cultivate media relationships with key journalists.
- Research and prepare press materials including briefing documents, press releases, media alerts, pitches, communications plans, award submissions, speaking proposals and media lists.
- Pursue reporter queries, in a timely manner.
- Organize media briefings, media training’s and manage interviews and speaking engagements.
- Actively track and report company media coverage and social media mentions.
- Monitor competitive media activity and industry news.
- Manage and enhance department processes and procedures.
- Manage international PR agencies, communicating comms priorities and materials and preparing meeting agendas.
- Build out thought leadership programs including bylines, keynote talks and scripts.
- Collaborate with internal comms, events, social and marketing teams on projects, events and partnerships.
- Manage blogger partners and speaking bureau.
- Assist with quarterly earnings and managing communications with business and financial media.
- 7-10+ years of relevant PR and communications experience, both in-house and agency.
- BA degree in a related field – marketing, creative, communications or journalism.
- Experience with public speaking, presenting and liaising with executives.
- Extremely detail oriented and thorough.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational, project management and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline and results-driven environment.
- Ability to embrace change and adapt strategies on the fly.
- Must be willing/able to travel 10-20% of the time.
- A self starter with a team player attitude and a sharp intellect.
- Curious and passionate about the creative and technology space and a strong desire to learn and explore new ideas.
- Communications experience with publicly-traded companies
Shutterstock, Inc. (NYSE: SSTK), directly and through its group subsidiaries, is a leading global provider of high-quality licensed photographs, vectors, illustrations, videos and music to businesses, marketing agencies and media organizations around the world. Working with its growing community of over 1 million contributors, Shutterstock adds hundreds of thousands of images each week, and currently has more than 297 million images and more than 16 million video clips available.
Headquartered in New York City, Shutterstock has offices around the world and customers in more than 150 countries. The company’s brands also include Bigstock, a value-oriented stock media offering; Shutterstock Custom, a custom content creation platform; Offset, a high-end image collection; PremiumBeat, a curated royalty-free music library; and Shutterstock Editorial, a premier source of editorial images for the world’s media.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-18