Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
The International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers (SMART) is
seeking to fill the position of Communications Specialist for the
Communications Department. This position is based at
SMART Headquarters in Washington, DC. This position is onsite.
SMART is a broad-based labor union representing over 200,000 sheet metal workers, service technicians, bus
operators, engineers, conductors, sign workers, welders, production employees,
and more across the United States and Canada.
Our members ensure the quality of the air we breathe, promote energy
efficiency, and produce and provide vital services that move products to market
and passengers to their destinations. With members in scores of different
occupations, we advocate for fairness in the workplace, excellence at work, and
opportunity for all working families.
Communications Department offers a unique and exciting opportunity to
contribute to the organization’s success and be a pivotal support figure for
this dynamic team of highly competent communication professionals. If you
possess the required skills and are passionate about making a positive
contribution to the organization’s mission, we encourage you to apply and be
part of our organization.
General Duties & Responsibilities
The Communications Specialist is
responsible for helping to develop and implement strategic communications
campaigns and projects in support of SMART’s organizing, legislative, and
member mobilization priorities. This includes:
· Content Creation:
Assist in the development and creation of engaging content for a variety of
platforms, including social media, podcasts, videos, print, and website
updates. This includes drafting email and text message updates, newsletters and
articles, speeches, videos, scripts, and other written materials. This includes
performing research as necessary. Collaborate
with the communications team to maintain a consistent and cohesive brand voice.
· Social Media
Management: Monitor, schedule, and curate content for our social media
channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and other relevant
· Media Relations:
Support the communications team in building and maintaining relationships with
media outlets, journalists, and influencers. Assist in preparing press
releases, media kits, and responding to media inquiries.
· Analytics and
Reporting: Assist in utilizing analytics tools to measure the performance of
communications efforts across different channels. Prepare regular reports to
track key performance indicators and provide insights for improvement.
· Graphic Design: Create
visually appealing graphics, infographics, and promotional materials for social
media and print.
· Internal Communications: Assist in developing and distributing internal communications
materials, including internal newsletters and announcements.
· Representing SMART: Functioning as an ambassador for SMART with union members, the public and the media.
· Administrative Tasks: Provide general administrative support to the communications team,
including the maintenance of audio-visual media content, organizing our photo
library, and updating contact lists.
· Other duties as assigned.
Experience, and Qualifications:
will have the following qualifications:
· A commitment to the labor movement
and the organization’s mission.
· A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations,
or a related field.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential, with the ability to
convey messages clearly and concisely.
· Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Suite software and advanced computer and technical
skills. Functional experience and working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook,
Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Adobe Creative Suite
along with an understanding of WordPress.
· Familiarity with various social media platforms and an understanding of social media
trends. Comfortable using communication tools and analytics software.
· A creative mindset with the ability to generate innovative ideas and solutions.
· A demonstrated track record of success in fast-paced work environments with the ability to work efficiently, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet tight deadlines.
· Strong collaborative and interpersonal skills, and able to work effectively with
· Enthusiastic, proactive, and eager to learn and grow.
· Outstanding organizational skills
with strong attention to detail and the ability to exercise a high level of
discretion, confidentiality, and professional integrity.
· Ability to think strategically with an end goal in mind.
· Writes factually and with rigorous accuracy.
· Works efficiently and meets all deadlines.
· Ability to interact and work effectively with union members and staff.
Additional Information and How to Apply:
The compensation for this position is competitive and based on experience. Benefits include excellent health care, dental, and vision; a
defined benefit pension plan; 401(k); and generous paid time off.
Please submit a
resume and cover letter to Paul Pimentel, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the
subject line: Communications Specialist. Resumes should contain your
background, accomplishments, skills, relevant experience, and
education/training. The deadline to apply is September 8.
SMART is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. SMART encourages applications from all qualified individuals
without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age,
marital, parental, or family status, personal appearance, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable law.
Job posted: 2023-09-04