Akoya, a woman-owned, small communications firm, is seeking a full-time Communications Specialist to join a high-performing team that supports the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) on site in Washington, DC.
Akoya provides communications services to the EERE corporate communications office and to EERE technology offices’ public information dissemination activities. To administer communications processes, Akoya works collaboratively with EERE Communications, Communications Sector Leads, and members of EERE leadership, Legislative Affairs, and the DOE Office of Public Affairs, as well as with various EERE technology offices and programs.
The Communications Specialist will perform three main functions: 1) deliver client-facing consulting services to the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Operations (DAS-O); 2) coordinate the weekly update to the EERE editorial calendar (an internal tracker for all major EERE communications, events, and reports); and 3) provide writing and editing support for communications products such as presentations, social media, website content, newsletter articles, fact sheets, templates, reports, briefings, and other internal and public-facing materials.
- Assist the DAS-O and senior team members in developing strategies for effective communication about EERE activities and accomplishments.
- Maintain consistency of messaging, standards, and branding; obtain concurrence of all appropriate entities (e.g., DOE Public Affairs, EERE leadership, EERE Legislative Affairs, EERE technology offices).
- Steer communications products through the DAS-O approval process, ensuring compliance with quality standards and publication deadlines.
- Ensure quality of products through proofreading, copyediting, brand compliance and remediation, collaboration with webmasters, and media monitoring.
- Establish milestones and metrics for communications projects and campaigns; conduct follow-up assessments to measure their success.
EERE editorial calendar:
- Manage the weekly update to the EERE editorial calendar, delivering a revised Excel workbook at the end of each week.
- Provide training and support to EERE technology offices, ensuring their weekly edits to the editorial calendar are timely and accurate.
- Meet weekly with EERE Communications Sector Leads to ensure the editorial calendar provides an accurate and comprehensive account of all upcoming events, activities, and communications.
- Maintain records of each week’s editorial calendar and coordinate with IT staff to upload the editorial calendar to the EERE SharePoint site.
- Provide weekly reminders and instruction to the EERE technology offices, periodically updating the contact list for all communications pertaining to the editorial calendar.
- Provide writing and editing support for communications products such as presentations, social media, website content, newsletter articles, fact sheets, templates, reports, briefings, and other internal and public-facing materials.
- Assist the EERE Front Office with any miscellaneous projects that require additional communications support.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in communications or related discipline
- Minimum of seven years of related professional work experience
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance
- Ability to build and manage client relationships at all levels
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic, results-driven environment
- Ability to think strategically to effectively assess clients’ situations and assemble solutions to meet needs
Desired Skills and Experience:
- U.S. Department of Energy experience
- Communications experience in the energy sector
- Familiarity with AP Style
Akoya is a woman-owned small business (WOSB) headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, with an office on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. For 20 years, Akoya has supported strategic communications for federal agencies with missions spanning science, energy, cyber and homeland security, military readiness, and health.
For information about Akoya’s core capabilities, client portfolio, employee benefits, and more, visit https://akoyaonline.com/.
No phone calls accepted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Job Type: Full-time
- communications: 7 years (Required)
- Writing Skills: 7 years (Required)
- Consulting: 7 years (Required)
- Strategic Planning: 7 years (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Washington, DC 20585 (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented — quality and precision-focused
- Outcome-oriented — results-focused with strong performance culture
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
- Monday to Friday
Please submit resumes to: email@example.com. No phone calls accepted.
Job posted: 2020-04-29