Community Engagement Coordinator
The Feeding Texas network is the largest hunger-relief organization in Texas. Our mission is to lead a
unified effort for a hunger-free Texas. Together with our twenty-one member food banks, we strive to
ensure adequate, nutritious food for all Texans, improve the health and financial stability of our
communities, and engage all stakeholders in advocating for hunger solutions.
The Feeding Texas Civic Engagement team makes our state and national policy response to hunger
stronger, more effective and more just by influencing decision-makers, engaging community voices in
the policy-making process, and building political power in the communities we serve.
The Community Engagement Coordinator will increase our capacity to engage Texans in the
communities served by our food banks by offering training and opportunities to influence state and
federal public policy-making. The Coordinator will plan and conduct virtual advocacy bootcamps with
community members, assist in the education of public-policy makers, and identify and develop
partnerships and opportunities for substantive policy advocacy.
This position reports to the Community Voices Program Manager and works closely with the Director of
• Assist in developing a comprehensive strategy to provide education and skills to various cohorts of
community members that supports their engagement in policy advocacy and other civic processes.
• Plan and implement a recurring series of virtual advocacy bootcamps for community members
aligned with Feeding Texas’ public policy agenda.
• Assist in building and tracking relationships with bootcamp graduates over time, offering support for
their development as advocates and relaying ongoing opportunities for engagement in policy
advocacy and civic processes.
• Assist as needed in educating state and federal policy-makers, including support for the creation of
educational materials and analysis of relevant datasets, administrative policies and legislation.
• Identify and assist in developing intersectional partnerships that increase Feeding Texas’ ability to
work in coalition to achieve our policy objectives.
• Experience in group facilitation, public speaking and/or teaching
• Working knowledge of state and federal policy-making processes, and the political dynamics
shaping these processes
• Experience working with communities of color, and/or lived experience with communities most
impacted by hunger in Texas
• Basic knowledge of database and/or CRM management
• English-Spanish bilingual proficiency is a plus
Skills and Attributes
• Demonstrated ability to work with groups of diverse individuals, empathize with and respect their
experiences, and build trusted working relationships
• Demonstrated understanding of historical and current injustices contributing to hunger in Texas and
how awareness of these can help inform effective and just solutions
• Ability to communicate policy-related topics and strategies to broad audiences in a way that
supports effective and just outcomes in a bipartisan environment
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including strong speaking ability
• Demonstrated ability to work with a team, meet deadlines, and incorporate guidance from a supervisor
• Strong organizational, planning, and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work with multiple projects with attention to detail and accuracy while adhering to
deadlines in a high-energy, fast-paced, and mostly virtual environment
• Able to work independently
• Strong ethical character capable of exercising good judgment and discretion and handling
• Commitment to organizational mission to end hunger
Applicants should be committed to social and racial justice, with a belief that improving
outcomes for all Texans – regardless of their race, place, or class – requires intersectional
solutions that correct injustices and promote equity.
The salary range for this position classification is $36,000 – $54,000. Final offer will be based on the
candidate’s ability to immediately contribute to organizational goals and apply relevant skills, while
maintaining organizational pay equity.
Feeding Texas offers a competitive benefits package. We strive to provide non-cash benefits that
encourage a work-life balance and promote the physical, mental, and financial health of our employees
and their families.
Feeding Texas is currently working remotely. When it is safe to do so, we plan to re-open our Austin
office and offer the flexibility to work in the office or from home, with the expectation of occasional in-
person meetings and collaborative work as needed, and the ability to travel within Texas. Feeding
Texas’ physical office is currently located at 1524 S IH 35 Frontage Rd Suite 342, Austin, TX 78704.
Please upload your resume and complete a brief questionnaire here. The form will close when the
recruitment period has ended.
Job posted: 2021-04-18