Community Engagement Manager
The Walker Basin Conservancy (Conservancy) is leading the effort to restore and maintain Walker Lake while protecting agricultural, environmental and recreational interests in the Walker Basin (www.walkerbasin.org). The dynamic nature of the Conservancy and its diverse resource management portfolio provide unique opportunities to develop innovative, interdisciplinary conservation solutions while working closely with a dedicated and passionate staff. The Conservancy team is comprised of approximately 30 full-time employees and increases up to 70 during our field season.
The Conservancy manages a complex real-property acquisition program, acquiring land, water and related interests from willing sellers in the Walker Basin, for the benefit of Walker River and Lake. In addition, the Conservancy manages intensive restoration and stewardship activities on thousands of acres in the Walker Basin.
JOB PURPOSE: The Community Engagement Manager will be responsible for connecting community members, stakeholders, and donors with the Conservancy’s mission. The ideal candidate will have the vision and leadership to enhance the Conservancy’s communications strategies and brand identity, effectively build diverse partnerships and coalitions, and develop high-level communications strategies as the organization seeks and obtains new funding sources and develops innovative programs and initiatives. They are responsible for effective and efficient management of the organization’s outreach activities and campaigns. This position is an essential part of the organization’s Senior Leadership Team, and the successful candidate will have the proven ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization, primary partners and stakeholders.
Communications and Public Relations Execution (75%)
· Work closely with the Executive Director to execute outreach strategies focused on Nevada’s congressional delegation, elected state and local officials, and public servants relevant to the Conservancy’s mission;
· Direct and implement annual outreach plan;
· Implement public relations plans while sustaining professional relationships with local media entities;
· Oversee the Conservancy’s online presence and other outreach platforms while ensuring consistent brand identity and messaging;
· Work with Executive Director, leadership team, and development staff to maintain brand identity and messaging in all fundraising materials;
· Support fundraising efforts by developing written materials;
· Develop, market, and assist in implementing Conservancy events;
· Represent the Conservancy publicly at networking, awareness, and community events; and
· Enhance the Conservancy’s public engagement efforts through development and maintenance of volunteer engagement campaigns.
Communication Strategies (25%)
· Develop detailed outreach campaigns that enhance and implement the Conservancy’s communication strategies by targeting local, regional and national audiences;
· Develop and execute strategies to leverage internal resources such as subject matter experts, staff, board, and volunteers to support public relations and community engagement;
· Ensure that strategies for the cultivation and relationship management of stakeholders and supporters are embedded throughout organization, including staff, the Board of Directors and volunteers;
· Develop and lead a strategic outreach work plan to assign projects, monitor workflow, review and evaluate work products, policies, methods and procedures;
· Maintain a thorough public relations resource inventory that details opportunities with federal and state agencies, local and national organizations, private corporations and foundations; and,
· Assess and report on communications effectiveness.
· A minimum of 5 years of experience in non-profit communications, public relations, marketing or other related field;
· Experience with outreach campaigns, communication strategies and government affairs;
· Ability to proactively identify and act on opportunities, speaking engagements, and earned media;
· Demonstrated organization, tracking and management experience required;
· Excellent communication skills, ability to clearly and concisely give direction;
· Experience using and measuring social media as a communications tool for a nonprofit organization;
· Experience working with diverse stakeholders, especially in rural communities preferred;
· Experience editing, updating and managing a Square Space website preferred;
· Experience pitching breaking news to local media professionals;
· Ability to plan and execute public events along with seeking and attending tabling opportunities;
· Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud products preferred; and
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
Physical and Mental/Intellectual Requirements
Strength, dexterity, and coordination to use keyboard and video display terminal for prolonged periods. Strength and stamina to bend, stoop, sit, and stand for long periods of time. Dexterity and coordination to handle files and single pieces of paper; occasional lifting of files, stacks of paper or reports, references, and other materials. Some reaching for items above and below desk level. Some bending, squatting, and stooping to access files and records is necessary. The manual dexterity and cognitive ability to operate a personal computer using word processing and databases. The ability to interact professionally, communicate effectively, and exchange information accurately with all internal and external customers. Ability to appropriately handle stress and interact with others, including supervisors, coworkers, clients, and customers. Regular and consistent punctuality and attendance. Light lifting (up to 25 pounds) is occasionally required.
In compliance with applicable disability laws, reasonable accommodations may be provided for qualified individuals with a disability who require and request such accommodations. Applicants and incumbents are encouraged to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Position functions indoors in an office type environment where most work is performed at a desk. Position may occasionally be required to travel by car to pick up or deliver material. Environment is generally clean with limited exposure to conditions such as dust, fumes, noise, or odors. Frequent interruptions to planned work activities occur.
Salary & Benefits:
A salary range $50-$65k annually, based on the level of experience.
Excellent employee benefits package which includes:
- Employer paid health, dental, vision and life insurance plans for employee Retirement 403(b) plan includes a 6% automatic company contribution;
- 120 hours of annual paid vacation, increasing to 160 hours after first year of employment;
- 16 hours of annual personal leave;
- Company paid holiday week between Christmas and New Year’s;
- 60 hours of annual sick leave;
- 12 paid holidays;
- Health and wellness subsidy; and
- Employer paid professional development.
Position will remain open until filled. Only top candidates will be contacted.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Subject Line: Community Engagement Manager
Please call (775) 463-9887 ext. 116 with questions.
Walker Basin Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.
Equal Opportunity Statement – Walker Basin Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer. WBC does not discriminate against any employee, applicant, director, officer, contractor, or any other person with whom it deals because of race, creed, color, disability, age, sex, veteran status, religion or political affiliation. WBC complies with all federal and local statutes prohibiting discrimination in employment.
Reasonable accommodations may be provided for qualified individuals with a disability.
Disclaimer – The statements contained herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the employees in these positions. The statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in each position. Other responsibilities, duties, and skills may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the responsibilities, duties, and skills at any time.
Job posted: 2021-08-29