Director, Federal Government Affairs
Start Your Journey With Us
The Social Impact and Public Affairs team at Marriott International corporate headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland is responsible for public policy advocacy, social responsibility, external stakeholder engagement and a range of initiatives and partnerships which aim to connect the company with communities and governments to drive positive social and business outcomes.
Within this team, the Government Affairs group has responsibility for: (i) assessing business objectives and developing supportive public affairs strategies; (ii) monitoring, reviewing, and influencing federal, state, and local legislative and regulatory activity impacting corporate operations; (iii) managing external relationships with industry professionals, associations and coalitions advancing public policy that benefits our company and associates; (iv) guiding operational units engaging with government officials; and (v) overseeing company-wide political compliance and campaign giving, including managing Marriott’s Political Action Committee (MARPAC).
The Director, Federal Government Affairs will be a key member of Marriott International’s Government Affairs group, working to advance the interests of the company with the U.S. Congress, Administration and other non-governmental stakeholders influencing federal policy development.
This position will be responsible for autonomously managing a multi-issue policy portfolio, serving as a subject matter expert and primary representative of the company with relevant federal policymakers on those topics. This will include responsibility for continuously monitoring and analyzing federal legislative and regulatory activity for its impact on business operations while maintaining robust relationships with (1) policymakers and their staffs, and (2) company leaders as needed to inform advocacy strategies. This position will also build and maintain relationships with external industry professionals, business associations and coalitions to advance and prioritize the company’s policymaking objectives.
This position reports to the Vice President, Social Impact and Public Affairs, and in time may have one or more direct reports.
The primary responsibilities of the Director, Federal Government Affairs will be as follows:
- Lead and grow Marriott’s federal lobbying and advocacy capacity by:
- Identifying policy priorities through internal stakeholder engagement;
- Managing a multi-issue federal policy portfolio, including independently analyzing relevant legislative and regulatory activity and developing company positioning;
- Building content for responsive advocacy campaigns while managing strategic deployment of outside consultants, lobbyists and coalition partners;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with Members of Congress and officials at the highest levels of the federal government, as well as their staffs, to build receptivity to company policy goals;
- Representing the company with trade associations, coalitions and other industry forums to drive broader alignment with advancing the company objectives;
- Developing and executing strategic federal political giving plans and representing the company at fundraisers, conventions and related events; and
- Collaborating on grassroots political engagement by Business Councils and other property-level associates.
- Provide political counsel to corporate senior leadership by:
- Informing senior leadership and developing executive communications on issues within policy portfolio;
- Providing strategic guidance to support executive engagement with policymakers, trade associations and other non-governmental entities;
- Identifying and preparing executives for potential political sensitivities or proactive engagement opportunities arising during the course of public appearances; and
- Collaborating with cross-company functions to ensure message alignment on policy issues to inform communications and business positioning.
- Support other Government Affairs activities and projects, including:
- Identifying, shaping and/or creating opportunities at public events to educate policymakers, staff and influencers about Marriott to bolster the company’s reputational and political capital;
- Developing or overseeing the creation of content for internal and external communications related to federal policy or for policy-making audiences;
- Representing the Government Affairs office with internal or external stakeholders to provide education about the function or build internal support for MARPAC;
- Reviewing and verifying federal lobbying and MARPAC disclosure reports in consultation with compliance counsel;
- Representing the company at fundraising events and other community/non-governmental partner events; and
- Building programming for the annual Government Affairs Day on Capitol Hill with Business Council and property leaders, as well as other ad hoc corporate “fly-in” events.
- Requirements for Position:
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience as follows:
- Four-year college degree required, with advanced studies or a graduate degree in political science, public policy or a related field preferred;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience working on Capitol Hill, in a legislative affairs or policy role within a federal agency, or in a government relations role, with a mix of government and private sector experience preferred;
- Fluency with federal political and legislative processes, as well as experience with grassroots and coalition management;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, including:
- Ability to relate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Ability to build, facilitate and participate in collaboration between diverse groups;
- Ability to effectively interpret and address needs of diverse constituents; and
- Ability to integrate data effectively and work diplomatically with a broad range of individuals, including senior management and government officials.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, with attention to detail;
- Self-starter who takes initiative and follows through on tasks to completion; ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and synthesize complex issues and present information effectively to diverse audiences;
- Ability to work well under pressure, set and adapt to continually changing workload priorities, and effectively manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision;
- Ability to independently identify and analyze problems/issues, assess risks, create and evaluate alternative solutions, and recommend a course of action;
- Ability to maintain security and confidentiality of sensitive information;
- Flexibility to travel and attend evening events.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Job posted: 2020-07-28