Director, Federal Government Affairs
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Director, Federal Government Affairs. This position is based in Washington D.C.
Here, everyone matters, and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Director, Federal Government Affairs working on the Public Affairs team, you will be empowered to identify, advocate, and execute Takeda’s corporate interests for all Takeda Pharmaceuticals U.S.A. departments and other Takeda operations in the United States with the legislative and executive branches of the federal government to achieve business goals and objectives.
- Lead the strategy development and create and execute tactical plans to influence Congress, the White House and related agencies to support Takeda identified priorities
- Build and maintain relationships on behalf of Takeda with elected leaders, and other key stakeholders to enable appropriate access to innovative bio-pharmaceuticals with a focus on Takeda’s products and to help position Takeda as world-class pharmaceutical company.
- Lead and participate in cross-functional and project teams, both internal and external, including to help the company identify risks as well as opportunities for the commercial and clinical teams.
- Support the external engagement of Takeda executives with elected officials and other key stakeholders within and around the federal government.
- The position will work in close collaboration with Federal and State Government Affairs, Public Policy & Advocacy and relevant internal functions.
- Lead lobbying effort on behalf of Takeda through the establishment and maintenance of professional trusted advisor relationships with Members of Congress, staff, executive branch and federal agency officials. Execute and coordinate federal government affairs positions and strategies on legislative, policy and political regulatory issues impacting Takeda.
- Advise Takeda leadership on appropriate business goals and strategies that may have impact to Takeda from federal legislative, executive, and regulatory activities. Consult with appropriate business and corporate personnel in making such determinations, providing recommendations for formulation of action plans.
- Develop and execute proactive policy and strategic plans to influence legislation and federal agency actions for both corporate and business/product specific initiatives.
- Collaborate with team to determine political action committee giving strategy.
- Manage day to day Takeda relationships with trade associations and participate in relevant staff-level work groups in order to advocate for Takeda’s interests.
- Establish mutually beneficial relationships with key organizations, coalitions, policymakers and agency officials.
- Increase leadership and business unit understanding of, and participation in the policy-making and political process on behalf of Takeda. Collaborate with home office and business units for input on critical issues and involve appropriate executives to advance Takeda’s positions with policymakers.
- Manage external lobbyists and consultants to effectively implement Takeda’s legislative, policy, and political strategies
- Partner with state government affairs on policy and legislative activities to leverage resources and enhance Takeda presence with policymakers.
- Develop strategy to enhance Takeda’s branding and presence with elected leaders and key stakeholders in Washington DC and throughout the federal government.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree required. JD or MBA desirable
- Minimum 10 + years’ experience in public affairs & policy, legal, marketing or sales with a minimum of 5 years in positions of increasing responsibility and experience in government affairs, public affairs or public policy in pharmaceutical/health care industry.
- Demonstrated healthcare experience with Federal/State Legislative and Executive Branch regulatory and administrative processes
- Strong political acumen to effectively build sustainable relationships and establish positive corporate identity
- Proven contact network, involvement and success in influencing the development of federal legislation and strong knowledge of the federal/State legislative and regulatory processes including understanding of Federal healthcare programs – i.e. Medicare/Medicaid, VA, DOD etc.
- Established relationships with members of Health Care, Legislative, Regulatory, and Policy community including relevant Congressional committees, staff and federal agencies
- Able to effectively interact with policymakers, executives and possess outstanding written, verbal and presentation skills to synthesize complex issues and persuasively articulate specific actions and initiatives
- Experience in managing projects, including overseeing work plans, budgets
- Team player in collaborating, supporting and implementing department and function initiatives to advance corporate agenda
- Strong skills in assessing national trends and policies to identify and recommend appropriate strategies and action steps to protect and advance business interests
- Ability to refine team strategy based on anticipated future changes. Projects future trends of the industry and global forces to make proactive adjustments
- Ability to drive to or fly to various meetings, conferences or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 25% travel.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-02