Director Federal Government Affairs
DIRECTOR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
Background on Venture Global
Venture Global advises Fortune 500 companies, trade associations and governments on complex strategic issues, including corporate strategy, public affair, government affairs, legislative strategies, intellectual property protection and anti-illicit trade strategies.
We help our clients develop, shape and optimize public policy and corporate strategy to maximize business results while minimizing risk. Our clients include globally leading brands and span across a wide variety of industries & sectors, incl. luxury goods, apparel, shipping, pharmaceutical, liquor, vaping, tobacco and CBD.
We specialize in clients in highly regulated industries with complex public affairs, legislative, regulatory and illicit trade issues. Due to the nature of our work, confidentiality is of utmost importance.
The Director Federal Government Affairs manages Federal Government Affairs issues for assigned clients across relevant client issues through comprehensive issues management.
Scope of work:
Project Management / Client Relationship Management:
- Assist with or lead development, planning and execution of annual strategic plan across assigned clients, including development of appropriate, achievable and measurable objectives.
- Manage and track plan execution through appropriate tools (i.e. project trackers, budgets, timelines).
- Manage client relationships through virtual or in-person meetings, conference calls and status reports.
Public Policy / Issues Management:
- Develop comprehensive federal engagement plan for the congressional year across assigned clients.
- Stay abreast of federal issues relevant to assigned clients. Monitor relevant federal legislation, regulation and administrative actions across assigned clients and issues. Recommend appropriate course of action. This includes attendance (virtual or in-person) of relevant hearings, meetings, briefings, summits and conferences as needed.
- Develop and execute appropriate issues management plan, including issue research, legislative research, stakeholder identification, engagement strategy, advocacy strategy, communication strategy, legislative strategy and coalition development.
- Provide recommendations on legislative strategy, including drafting of proposed legislative language and amendments, report language or policy proposals.
- Monitor congressional hearings for relevance to recommend strategic options for clients to engage through testimony, statements or QFRs.
- Prepare policy briefing documents as needed to develop policy recommendation and engagement plan for clients. Draft letters of support or opposition for clients.
- Develop / maintain relationships with relevant congressional staff. Maintain or create congressional staff contact lists by client area of issue. Engage and collaborate with relevant congressional staff on enacting or preventing client key legislative priorities.
- Develop, plan and execute congressional Hill Day, in-person / virtual fly-in as requested by client to advance legislative priorities and/or specific legislative issue.
- Maintain perfect compliance with all relevant lobbying laws, regulations and requirements by tracking, maintaining and filing lobbying time and expense as laid out in Exhibit B of contract. Venture Global will provide outside legal counsel for compliance.
- Develop, draft and update advocacy materials on assigned issues, including white papers, one-pagers, press releases, PowerPoint presentations, and briefing documents for assigned clients to be used for congressional and partner engagement.
- Maintain or build relationships with relevant advocacy partners to include, but not limited to conference participation / sponsorship, educational and training opportunities and policy collaborations and engagement.
- The ideal candidate has 5+ years of experiences as Hill staffer, legislative aide and / or in corporate affairs, federal government affairs, legislative affairs.
- Bachelors degree in relevant or adjacent field required.
- Ideal candidate has well rounded communication skills, including excellent writing skills and excels in distilling complex issues into crisp and compelling advocacy.
- Ideal candidate is self-driven, motivated, highly organized and coachable.
- The job is based in Washington DC, but can and will be executed virtually during the pandemic in full compliance with CDC recommendations.
Job posted: 2020-12-30