Director, Federal Legislative Affairs
Job Summary: Serves as ASHP’s primary legislative advocate with the United States Congress. Actively monitors and participates in the entire federal legislative process. Communicates and advocates ASHP policies and positions to advance ASHP’s mission. Serves as a strategic advisor on the establishment and execution of ASHP’s advocacy priorities. Collaborates on the communication of ASHP’s legislative interests to ASHP members and key stakeholders.
- Serves as ASHP’s primary federal legislative advocate.
- Assists in development, implementation and execution of ASHP’s advocacy priorities.
- Cultivates and develops positive and sustained relationships with members of Congress and their staff and key stakeholders.
- Represents ASHP on various coalitions.
Major Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads efforts to monitor, track, analyze and interpret federal legislative and related policies.
- Writes testimony, public comments, presentations, letters, articles and other written and digital correspondence on federal legislative matters.
- Collaborates on the communication of ASHP’s legislative interests to ASHP members and key stakeholders.
- Serves as a resource to ASHP members and staff.
- Assists in recruitment and oversight of external government relations vendors and contractors.
- Provides leadership for the coordination of the ASHP Political Action Committee (PAC), including planning, coordinating and participating in various PAC fundraising activities and events.
- Coordinates legislative fly-ins and related constituent interactions with policymakers.
- Contributes to the development of ASHP professional policies.
- Assists with ASHP public policy related strategic planning and membership recruitment, retention and engagement efforts.
- Engages in efforts to advance the vision and mission of ASHP.
- Participates on and supports various internal and membership-related committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Professional Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, government, health policy, public policy, or related field required.
- D., M.P.P, M.P.A., M.P.H., M.H.A., or Ph.D. preferred.
Job Experience (Years and Type):
- Minimum 5 years of federal government affairs experience; Capitol Hill or Executive Branch experience preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal and diplomatic skills, and ability to work as a member of a team required.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills required.
- Expertise in healthcare-related public policy required. Knowledge of federal drug law and pharmacy practice desired.
- Proven ability to lead and engage in grassroots and grasstops activities.
- Proven ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and function effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Significant experience in PAC-related activities required.
- Exceptional interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Strong ability and desire to lead and work on teams.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability and desire to be a strong servant leader in support of ASHP’s vision, mission, and members.
- Significant experience utilizing various digital applications (e.g., social media, web, grassroots software) and print communications.
- Significant experience with preparing and giving presentations to groups of all sizes.
- Experience working with various databases and software applications to support government relations efforts.
To apply, please click the following link: http://ashp.balancetrak.com
Job posted: 2019-01-23