Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Government Affairs
We go where others won’t, taking on some of the biggest public health challenges to protect and enhance millions of lives, and create a better, more secure world. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect and enhance life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
Director of Federal Government Affairs will execute day-to-day engagement with Capitol Hill on behalf of Emergent. This individual will build and maintain relationships with key legislators on relevant committees of jurisdiction for such policies as pandemic preparedness, biodefense and the opioid crisis. Serves as a subject matter expert to Congressional staff.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Identify and manage relationships with Members of Congress who share Emergent’s goals and mission as well as hold key positions in areas of jurisdiction vital to achieving corporate objectives.
2. Work with external consultants to achieve policy and legislative goals.
3. Collect information from Emergent’s divisions, groups, and functional departments in order to be prepared to respond to challenges and also to pursue opportunities.
4. Monitor, analyze, and track federal legislation and Administration actions relevant to Emergent including emerging policy issues.
5. Develop and maintain constructive relationships with public officials, policy groups and Congressional staff across the political spectrum.
6. Participate in the development of policy positions, strategies, and execution of tactics to influence federal legislative activity collaborating with Public Affairs.
7. Maintain a political strategic mindset when engaging with Capitol Hill as well as representing employees at political events.
8. Collaborate with Emergent Employee PAC manager to align strategic goals.
9. Manage site visits of US government officials, staff, helping to build agendas and programs, working with delegation owners and subject matter experts – all to drive the company’s policy and business objectives.
10. Work collaboratively across the enterprise. Leverage skills and subject matter expertise among colleagues in Global Government Affairs and across other functions.
11. Promote an ethical culture including but not limited to compliance with applicable lobbying, campaign finance and disclosure laws.
12. Assess and implement best practices for industry-leading corporate government affairs program.
13. Reports to Senior Director Federal Government Affairs and is a valuable team member of the broader Global Government Affairs team.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in international relations, public policy or political science
Experience: Over 7 years on Capitol Hill or political experience
Knowledge: Over 7 years experience in government relations, Capitol Hill or political campaign activities, familiar with Federal election campaign laws; must possess basic understanding of membership organization operations and awareness of current health policy issues; knowledge of the political process
Skills: Proficient in MS Office Applications including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
Abilities: Ability to work collaboratively across the organization; self-motivated, independent self-starter; Strong public speaking skills; Excellent written communication skills; Ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects including action items, timelines and budgets.
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
Job posted: 2023-08-29