Director of Government Affairs
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for an experienced government affairs professional to join its growing Global Public Policy team. As Director of Government Affairs, you will play a key role in Twilio’s advocacy on technology policy issues and its interactions with the Executive Branch and Capitol Hill. You will work closely with other members of Twilio’s Global Public Policy and Legal teams, as well as its business units, to formulate and execute actions plans to advance Twilio’s interests on critical policy and regulatory issues. You will report to the Vice President, Global Public Policy and Government Affairs, who is based in Washington, D.C.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of professional success. They should also have:
- 8+ years of government affairs experience, with 4+ years experience working on Capitol Hill or representing companies there
- A thorough understanding of the U.S. legislative process
- A sophisticated understanding of U.S. technology policy issues, including privacy, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, OTT, trade, tax, and data flows; experience working on these issues in international markets a plus
- Some familiarity with telecommunications policy issues preferred
- Previous experience in a technology or communications company strongly preferred
- Previous experience working through trade associations and directing outside consultants to achieve a company’s policy goals
- Strong analytical skills, particularly with respect to draft legislation; excellent verbal and written communications skills; a demonstrated ability to think creatively and strategically; a preference to work as a team player; and an ability to manage a large number of projects, working independently, with colleagues distributed globally
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; law or other relevant advanced degree a plus.
- Available for occasional domestic travel, and possible international travel
As Director of Government Affairs, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Analyze important policy issues and draft briefing papers for both internal and external purposes
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Play a critical role in Twilio’s advocacy on technology policy issues by devising and helping to execute action plans to enable the company to achieve its legislative and policy objectives
- DRAW THE OWL: Develop innovative ways to help raise Twilio’s profile in the policy community and establish Twilio as a thought leader on issues of importance to the company
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact with Global Public Policy colleagues located in foreign markets to ensure policy consistency and work extensively with other Legal colleagues and functional business units to keep them informed about important policy developments and ensure Twilio’s advocacy is furthering its business objectives
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Help to ensure the company’s policy efforts are focused on the most important policy issues in terms of potential business impact
The Global Public Policy team serves as the “strategic headlights” for the company: understanding and anticipating regulatory and policy developments and working to ensure that Twilio’s business interests are accommodated within that evolving landscape. We work closely with all company business units and senior leadership, and serve as the company’s principal advocates to policymakers and regulators around the world.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communications in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we’re dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our growing Washington, D.C., office near Metro Center, where you will enjoy our incredible perks: monthly gym reimbursement, lunch reimbursement, unlimited PTO, snacks, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-07