Director, Government Affairs
Humana is a Fortune 60 market leader in integrated healthcare whose dream is to help people achieve lifelong well-being. As a company focused on the health and well-being of the people we serve, Humana starts from within, and is committed to providing progressive benefits that advance the employment experience and vitality of the associate community. Through offerings anchored in a whole-person view of human well-being, Humana embraces a focus on stimulating positive individual and population changes while nurturing a sense of security, enabling people to live life fully and be their most productive.
Humana is seeking three Directors of Government Affairs to join our growing government affairs department reporting to the Associate VP, Government Affairs. Each Director of Government Affairs will develop and execute proactive advocacy strategies aligned around Humana’s key healthcare and business goals. This role involves direct engagement with Senate, House, and/or Administration officials and staff on a variety of issue areas. Two of the positions will focus on Medicare and broader Humana health policy priorities, with the third position focusing specifically on TRICARE and related military health policy matters. Ideal candidates will have proven ability in communicating and advocating complex issues, including demonstrated successful experience working closely with policymakers, policymaker staff, and stakeholders on shared public policy objectives.
- Advance a proactive advocacy plan in support of Humana’s policy and business objectives, including working to advance legislation, regulatory changes, and general environmental support favorable to the organization’s business units.
- Develop and maintain key relationships, including serving as Humana’s direct point of contact with members of Congress, staff members and/or Administration officials.
- Working closely with the Associate VP, Government Affairs and the policy team, responsible for ongoing engagement of key legislative activity, including bill analysis and tracking; attending hearings, briefings and mark ups; and general legislative monitoring.
- Collaborate with senior Government Affairs leaders, including policy leads, to provide guidance and counsel internally regarding federal public policy issues that impact the may impact the organization, including anticipating and preparing for trends in health and business policy, with specific focus across Humana’s lines of business, including developing new policy proposals to best advance emerging issues.
- Work closely with the Associate VP, Government Affairs to provide ongoing direction and partnership with contract lobbyists and strategic advisors as it relates to priority areas of work and advocacy approaches.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining a variety of written materials to help advance advocacy goals, including district and policy one-pagers; talking points; internal memos; and background materials.
- In partnership with other senior leaders in the Government Affairs department, represent Humana’s viewpoint in various trade groups. Build and maintain strong and collaborative relationships within the health plan, overall healthcare sector, and business communities, and for the TRICARE-focused position ongoing engagement and collaboration with the military and veterans’ service organization communities.
- Work closely with the Associate VP, Government Affairs, PAC manager, and other senior Government Affairs leaders on various PAC activities, including PAC contribution recommendations and disbursement strategies; internal PAC fundraising; and drafting of PAC communication materials.
- Work closely with various internal business units, including providing regular updates and briefings; staffing of senior leaders during engagements to Washington, D.C., and numerous other efforts to enhance the connection between the organization to federal policymakers and other key stakeholders.
Key Candidate Qualifications
- Extensive professional experience in Senate, House, Administration, government affairs, campaign, health policy and/or advocacy roles. Positions within committee, leadership offices, or other senior government roles within the executive branch are highly preferred.
- Bachelors or higher level degree in relevant degree area, such as public policy, communications, health policy, political science, or business.
- Proven ability to create and implement advocacy campaigns directly relevant to the federal government, including clear record of achieving short and long term milestones as it relates to advancing policy, political and/or advocacy goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, and organizational skills, including an ability to write well under deadlines pressures.
- Keen understanding of how the legislative and regulatory process, along with the general federal environment, impacts business organizations.
- Experience working in a highly matrixed organization in a fast-paced environment.
- Previous or current military experience is highly preferred for the TRICARE-focused Director position.
About Humana, Inc.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. As one of the nation’s top contractors for Medicare Advantage (MA) with approximately 4.4 million members and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDPs) with approximately 3.9 million members, we are distinguished by our nearly 30-year, long-standing, comprehensive commitment to Medicare beneficiaries across the United States. Humana also provides health care coverage for over 450,000 Medicaid beneficiaries, more than 1.4 million commercial members, and nearly 6 million Tricare members. In addition, through joint-venture partnerships and alliances, Humana has interests in over 200 primary centers and a 40 percent ownership stake in Kindred at Home which is comprised of 824 home health, hospice and community care programs.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Humana Inc. and its subsidiaries comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and
do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. Humana Inc. and its subsidiaries do not
exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age,
disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-18