American Forest & Paper Association
American Forest & Paper Association is searching for a Director, Government Affairs. Based in the DC office and reporting to the VP, Government Affairs, the selected person will manage the strategy development and implementation of assigned advocacy issues and ensure coordination of association lobbying efforts with overall policy goals of association members. The person will be responsible for managing a portfolio of federal legislative initiatives, which initially may include: trade, tax, chemical regulations and product stewardship, postal reform, and agricultural issues.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Develop and implement AF&PA legislative and political strategies and work plans to support AF&PA goals.
• Coordinate the development and implementation of industry policy positions and advocacy strategies
• Build and maintain relationships with key congressional members and staff
• Work to ensure AF&PA legislative goals are coordinated with other AF&PA departments and related industry groups
• Write letters, testimony and various association member communications.
• Serve on internal issue teams; manage, plan, and run meetings on relevant issue topics affecting the association
• Develop educational opportunities for federal legislators and their staff that serve to highlight the industry accomplishments
• Lead and coordinate member engagement or coalition engagement on Association issues
• Represent AF&PA to outside audiences, organizations and strategic alliances, through various means including public speaking
• Maintain relationships and coordinate with outside interest groups in coalitions on shared federal legislative goals
• Attend and represent AF&PA at political events
• College degree required
• Minimum of seven years of experience in one or more of the following fields; Capitol Hill legislative staff, government affairs office for trade association or company, lobbying firm, policy staff/political campaigns
• Managerial and budget experience helpful
• High degree of teamwork, organizational and project management skills
• Ability to juggle multiple responsibilities with high quality execution and performance
• In-depth knowledge of federal legislative process and strategic development required
• Strong writing ability and verbal communication skills are important
• Fluency in association policies on priority issues and the ability to effectively communicate them verbally and in writing to association members, key policymakers and staff
• Knowledge of contemporary communications (Internet, email, etc.) and ability to work with Microsoft Word and Outlook
• Industry knowledge is helpful
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
American Forest and Paper Association is an active Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V. AF&PA welcomes men and women regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, disability, veteran status or other category protected by law.
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 13, 2017