Director, Government Affairs
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer, inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
For more information please visit www.Gilead.com
Director, Congressional Affairs
Reporting to the Head of Congressional Affairs, the Director will play an integral role in developing and implementing coordinated advocacy strategies, initiatives and engagements with federal policymakers around issues that impact the biopharmaceutical industry.
Based in Washington, D.C., the Director will help ensure patient access to Gilead therapies by advocating for and advancing policies that impact public programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, 340B, the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) and Veteran’s Affairs. Additional issue areas of focus may include intellectual property, global health and trade. S/he will serve as a liaison between Gilead’s commercial, medical affairs, and public affairs teams and the Federal government affairs team in DC with responsibility for contacts with the key committees of jurisdiction and member offices engaged on these issues.
S/he will also work in coordination with 3rd party patient, provider and disease advocacy groups to educate Members of Congress and staff about the challenges facing patients with HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B and C and other liver related diseases, and cancer, as well as advance federal health policies that improve the treatment of these diseases. The position will play an integral role in helping Gilead build relationships with federal legislators, with a particular emphasis on House and Senate Democratic Members.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
- Support the development and execution of legislative and regulatory strategies designed to advance Gilead’s strategic priorities.
- Strengthen existing and develop new relationships with key Congressional Members and staff to increase support for Gilead policy positions and initiatives.
- Work cross-functionally with legal, commercial, medical, and public affairs teams to inform and engage internal audiences on issues impacting Gilead’s business priorities in Washington, DC.
- Research and analysis of relevant issue areas.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- This position requires a self-starter and team-player able to exercise significant discretion and independent strategic judgment.
- Typically requires a BS or BA degree and minimum 10 years of prior experience in government, government affairs, public affairs or policy role. MA or MBA and minimum 8 years of relevant experience preferred. Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries preferred.
- Experience with Congressional Committees and/or federal agencies with jurisdiction over healthcare is especially relevant.
- Strong analytic and research skills, including a familiarity with legislative, regulatory and policy materials, and significant experience engaging in the health care policymaking process.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication abilities, including experience with the use of PowerPoint and related tools to make effective presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships with internal and external constituencies and work as part of a cross-functional team advocating on complex health policy issues.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with proven experience managing multiple projects and deadlines effectively.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required, graduate or law degree a plus.
Gilead Core Values:
- Integrity (Doing What’s Right),
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity),
- Teamwork (Working Together),
- Excellence (Being Your Best),
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility).
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Apply online today at www.gilead.com/careers
Job posted: 2018-12-12