Director Government Affairs – Federal
About the Department
Novo Nordisk’s Market Access and Public Affairs team engages diverse stakeholders across political and healthcare landscapes to forge solutions that drive patient access to innovative products. We strive to deliver the best possible outcomes for patients with diabetes, obesity, growth hormone deficiencies and rare bleeding disorders through mutual wins for both Novo Nordisk and our Market Access customers. Our passion for helping people live better lives and our award-winning product pipeline can only be as effective as our ability to provide life-changing information to healthcare providers, key stakeholders and policymakers. Our Market Access and Public Affairs professionals ensure that the latest therapies and products reach the people who need them most, by creating an environment where innovation and chronic disease management drive optimal health outcomes. Are you ready to realize your potential?
The Director, Federal Affairs augments the Senior Director, Federal Affairs in all aspects of Novo Nordisk’s federal agenda, particularly strategic goals, and resource recommendations related to the Novo Nordisk Political Action Committee, trade associations, consultants, and documentation and publication tools. This position will focus on planning, communicating, advocating, and executing a proactive government affairs strategy that advances the mission and goals of Novo Nordisk’s enterprise strategy as it relates to federal legislation and policies. This position will also work strategically to defeat or mitigate decisions or actions by the U.S. Congress and Administration that could negatively or positively affect our business or patients. Accountable for relationships for a substantial portion of the US Congress and political appointees within an Administration, including communicating, advocating, and executing Novo Nordisk’s policy positions. Proactively collaborates with internal partners on all aspects of federal legislative, grassroots, and Political Action Committee goals. This position further serves as one of the company’s primary contacts/advocates responsible for developing strategic lobbying plans, as well as communicating and promoting the company’s positions directly to Congress.
This position reports to the Senior Director, Government Affairs. This position will interact with many external parties, but primarily members of the federal legislative branch and political appointees of an Administration, contractors working for Novo Nordisk and other entities and trade associations. Interacts with various people internally, both in Princeton and Copenhagen, particularly senior staff members involved in forming Novo Nordisk’s positions on public policy issues. Also interacts with Congressional stakeholders, including but not limited to: Congressional office health staff in both the House and Senate, the Chiefs of Staff, and the Legislative Directors, as well as other key congressional staff members.
Members of Committee staff of key House and Senate Committees, Leadership, Novo Nordisk Inc (NNI) representatives, and others. Congressional Member organizations, including the Congressional Diabetes Caucus, Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Congressional Hispanic Caucus Foundation, Congressional Asian-Pacific American Islander Caucus Foundation, and others. External organizations, which are involved with Government Affairs activities related to Novo Nordisk’s interest, including PhRMA, BIO, and other industry coalitions. Serve as Team Leader in key areas and ensure successful application and communication of all Novo Nordisk policies, procedures, and Novo Nordisk Way. This position is based in the Washington, D.C. office.
- Develops and manages proactive strategies to mitigate risks and identify opportunities or policy goals of importance to the Company, to achieve the success of NNI business and patient legislative goals
- Tracks federal legislation and regulation on NNI’s businesses and works with policy team to understand impacts and NNI’s position
- Coordinates with Alliance Development team on cross-functional projects involving outside organizations
- Ensuring that government officials, legislative committees and other relevant parties are aware of Novo Nordisk’s position on public affairs issues of importance to the Company
- Proactively initiate and cultivate relationships with federal policymakers and their staffs on behalf of Novo Nordisk. Assists in development and preparation of materials and resources to support analysis of proposals and arguments regarding NNI policy positions
- Develops and implements federal strategies to advance policy positions by working closely with the policy team and internal stakeholders to establish policy positions related to access to pipeline and marketed products and ensure that recommendations align with business and scientific objectives
- Participates in cross-functional work teams, often in a leadership role, to stimulate effective collaboration and ensure progress toward Novo Nordisk legislative and regulatory objectives. Develops strategies and spearhead opportunities to help grow Novo Nordisk Political Action Committee (PAC) and assist in the growth of NNI activities
- Builds organizational alignment on key issues by informing and education management and employees about external developments
- Works strategically with Federal Government Affairs consultants by developing and managing proactive strategies to mitigate risks and seek potential opportunities created by federal legislation of importance to NNI
20-30% overnight travel required.
- An Advanced degree or equivalent years of experience required
- 12+ years of experience of combined experience in federal government affairs, Capitol Hill, Administration, or lobbying consulting firm experience required
- A minimum of 6 years of Capitol Hill, Administration, or Pharmaceutical federal government affairs direct experience required
- Demonstrated analytical skills to understand key components of legislation and the potential effect on NNI and the industry
- Advanced knowledge of federal government affairs and public policy, including policy analysis and government relations
- Strong planning, relationship building, cross-functional team and leadership skills required
- Demonstrated ability to proactively strategize on how best to advance policy priorities
- Demonstrated ability to develop and cultivate relationships with key associations/agencies and key Congressional leaders and political appointees of an Administration
- Ability to effectively deliver information, and explain, advocate and negotiate positions and issues to a broad spectrum of individuals required
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, with little or no supervision required
- Demonstrated career progression with increasing roles of responsibility
- Demonstrated track record of strong advocacy and communications skills
- Pharmaceutical/healthcare industry experience and knowledge of diabetes, obesity and the diabetes and obesity marketplaces preferred, but not required
- Previous experience working with relevant congressional committees preferred
- Proven track record of effective strategic planning, execution and follow up
- Results-focused – prior track record required
- Strong interpersonal and communications style with ability to convey passion about Novo Nordisk and our company’s public policy goals; ability to generate excitement and enthusiasm among internal and external audiences
Learn more here
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Job posted: 2020-06-12