Director of Government Relations
POSITION: The Literacy Lab is seeking a dynamic, entrepreneurial, full-time Director of Government Relations. This position is an excellent opportunity for an experienced legislative strategist to lead government relations engagement across six states and future expansion locations for a fast-growing, high-performing nonprofit. The Director of Government Relations will use his/her knowledge of legislative affairs to help raise The Literacy Lab’s profile, advance the organization’s legislative priorities, and build champions among key local, state, and federal decision makers with the goal of helping the organization reach more children.
ABOUT THE LITERACY LAB: The Literacy Lab is a fast-paced, Washington, DC-based non-profit organization whose mission is to provide low-income children with individualized reading instruction to improve their literacy skills, leading to greater success in school and increased opportunities in life. We partner with public school districts to add capacity in high-need elementary schools to close the literacy achievement gap for children before third grade.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Director of Government Relations, who is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Co-CEOs, is responsible for the following:
- Developing and implementing legislative strategy to advance The Literacy Lab’s mission across multiple states
- Leading the organization’s appropriations and policy work
- Researching, analyzing, and monitoring legislative developments
- Developing and cultivating relationships with policymakers who are strategically important to The Literacy Lab’s agenda
- Collaborating with, coaching, and supporting Literacy Lab staff members to effectively engage with public officials and legislators
- Managing and collaborating with a team of government relations consultants to execute The Literacy Lab’s legislative strategy
- Leading the drafting and review of advocacy materials, testimonies, fact sheets, and other materials for internal and external use
- Filing disclosures and keeping appropriate records of lobbying activity; ensuring related compliance with nonprofit and AmeriCorps regulations
- Serving as an ambassador for The Literacy Lab
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: We are seeking candidates with:
- At least 5 years of legislative strategy experience
- Demonstrated skills in lobbying, strategy, advocacy, communication, messaging, collaboration, and relationship building
- Experience with appropriations processes; familiarity with education and workforce development preferred
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately while managing multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Experience in a detail-oriented position that requires a high level of organizational skills
- Ability to connect with and motivate others; a natural networker with strong oral and written communication skills
- Comfortable engaging with a variety of audiences
- A track record of persistence, taking initiative, and relentlessly pursuing results
- Strong problem-solving skills, an entrepreneurial growth mindset, and a can-do attitude
- A deep commitment to closing the achievement gap
- Bachelor’s Degree (at minimum)
This position may require out-of-town travel of approximately 15-25 nights per year for trainings, staff events, and meetings.
Compensation And Benefits
This position offers competitive compensation, employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance, employer-paid short- and long-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, a 403b retirement plan, and paid vacation.
Please send cover letter, resume, and three references with contact information via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (ATTN: Director of Government Relations).
The Literacy Lab is an equal opportunity employer. The Literacy Lab’s policy is to provide equal opportunity at all times without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibility, physical or mental disability, medication, or status as a veteran.
Job posted: 2019-07-24