Director Of Government Relations
This leadership position reports to the Vice President, Government Relations, and is responsible for developing and leading a high performance team of government relations professionals as part of Raytheon’s Corporate Government Relations team in Arlington, Virginia. This position is principally responsible for adding value to the company and its customers by shaping authorization and appropriations bills, legislative measures, and congressional understanding/appreciation of company programs and initiatives across all Raytheon businesses—consistent with established goals, priorities, and metrics—in a way that promotes sustained customer success and satisfaction and maintains the integrity and high standards of Government Relations and Raytheon.Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Leadership and management of a high performance team of government relations professionals that strengthen and expand relationships on Capitol Hill and the greater Washington D.C. political arena to advance the goals and priorities of the company, its business units, and its customers
- Serve as the Government Relations team integrator who provides a broad range of chief of staff duties for, to, and on behalf of the VP, Government Relations
- Serve as the primary manager to the business unit lobbyists, providing guidance, direction, and support of their efforts to represent the company’s position on budgetary, legislative and regulatory affairs before Members of Congress, their staffs, and congressional committees
- Recruit, inspire and develop a team of government relations professionals in a way that builds expertise, teamwork, camaraderie, and innovation while also promoting professional development and personal growth
- Ensure integration, alignment and prioritization of Raytheon’s business unit’s strategic objectives across the enterprise
- Serve as the principal Government Relations liaison to U.S. Business Development within Raytheon’s Washington Operations office
- Engage, coordinate and integrate the utilization of outside consultants to promote mission success
- Attend hearings, conferences, meetings, and other special events in both Washington, D.C., and in Members’ districts and states, to represent the company as needed
- Engage with businesses at their HQ and manufacturing locations to better understand their programs/products, the needs of internal customers, integrate the capabilities of Government Relations and participate and lead strategy sessions and operational reviews
- Monitor congressional activities in the area of defense policy and taking action, as/when appropriate, to ensure Raytheon corporate interests are protected and advanced
- Serve as the principal Government Relations liaison to Human Relations, Legal, Finance, Communications and other functional areas in the Rosslyn office
- Bachelor’s Degree with 14 plus years of relevant experience working with Members of Congress and their staffs, particularly those associated with the defense appropriations and authorization committees
- U.S. Citizenship is necessary as a current Top Secret Security Clearance as of day one is required.
- Master’s degree – business, political science, project management
- Leadership position in Congress as a Professional Staff lead, Chief of Staff, Legislative Director or Agency equivalent as a political appointee or senior executive
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing high performance teams in a highly matrixed organization and complex environment
- Established and trusted personal network within Congress, Administration, Department of Defense, Agencies, Associations, Think Tanks – the greater Washington D.C. political operational area
- Team player– collaborative, able to work in a team of teams and not worry about credit
- Entrepreneurial operator – a self-starter able to utilize guidance and intent to create opportunities that advance the team and grow revenue.
- Excellent interpersonal skills –diplomatic in complex environments and able to advance goals
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to influence/persuade stakeholders both inside the organization and out.
- Background or affiliation with the Department of Defense
- Raytheon experience or experience working with Raytheon
- Experience in the Aerospace and Defense industry
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization. 128426
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 96 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5I(TM) products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass. Visit us at www.raytheon.com and follow us on Twitter @Raytheon.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-12-05