Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director Government Relations
About Blue Cross
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is one of the most recognized and trusted health care brands in the world with 2.5 million members. We’re committed to reinventing health care to improve health for our members and the community. We hope you’ll join us.
How Is This Role Important to Our Work?
The Director of Government Relations leads the development and implementation of initiatives that strengthen the reputation of Blue Cross across a broad spectrum of interested parties, including legislators, policy makers, business and health care leaders, Blue Cross employees, members and other stakeholders. In addition to serving as the face of the organization at the state and federal level, this role provides leadership and management of key external relationships, and direction to a team of professionals. The Director coordinates Blue Cross advocacy activities and ensures that efforts are prioritized based upon high impact interactions that leverage a small team. This position requires a flexible approach to a rapidly evolving political and regulatory environment, the necessary lobbying tactics that are consistent with short and long-term priorities within that dynamic environment.
A Day in the Life:
- Lead the development of legislative priorities and assist in development of policy positions that enhance the reputation, and competitive position of Blue Cross in a rapidly evolving insurance market, and to ensure that those priorities reinforce our mission of making a Health Difference, drives strategic goals, and demonstrates leadership in the implementation of health care reform.
- Develop and implement advocacy strategies to execute legislative priorities among elected officials, policy makers, business and health care leaders, community leaders and other stakeholders.
- Enhance the positive visibility of the Blue Cross Executive Leadership Team among elected officials, policy and thought leaders, and key stakeholders.
- Initiate and leverage opportunities to build and sustain relationships with key organizations, associations and influential community and health care groups.
- Direct, manage, and lead a team that includes outside contractors and consultants, with a specific focus on the challenges of implementing health reform at the state level by balancing participation in stakeholder organizations such as the Council of Health Plans, while driving business objectives in the reform environment.
- Engage Blue Cross leadership, policy team and all functional business unit executives and corporate support groups in strategic discussions to regularly reassess priorities and tactics to ensure alignment with core business goals in a dynamic state legislative environment.
- Identify and help assess legislative or regulatory opportunities and risks to ensure the success and long-term viability of Blue Cross, and initiate strategic internal discussions ensuring the coordination of communications, policy, and other teams within the Division as appropriate.
- Lead, develop, and refine a robust political program in a highly dynamic environment, and ensure compliance with vital reporting requirements as it relates to state and federal lobbying guidelines.
- Leads the department including interviewing and hiring employees following required EEO and Affirmative Action guidelines and ensures employees receive accurate training.
- Conducts performance evaluation, leads employees, including skill and career development, policy administration, employee relations and cost control.
- By developing and implementing advocacy strategies across the spectrum of interested parties, they and their team, leverage relationships with elected and appointed government officials, and relevant interested parties that drive Blue Cross business goals.
- To optimally drive business goals, primary accountabilities will include consistent and effective alignment of advocacy efforts across the business, particularly with forward-facing external elements in the Public Affairs, Marketing and Health Affairs Division, and throughout the Enterprise.
- Front line constituencies include Minnesota elected and appointed leaders at the state, county, and local level; members of the U.S. Congress, and healthcare and business organizations with an eye toward prioritization among those with a high-value impact on the future success of Blue Cross in an ever-increasing regulatory environment as health reform moves forward. Other external relationships will include the national Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, other Blue Cross Blue Shield plans and relevant trade associations.
Nice to Have:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, political science or other related field or MBA/Master’s or advanced degree.
- 3 + years Health care experience/Minnesota-specific health care experience preferred
Required Skills and Experiences:
- Accepting this director level position at BCBSMN requires signing an Employee Confidentiality, Intellectual Property Assignment and Restrictive Covenants.
- 7+ years of related professional experience, with 3+ years of management experience. All proven experience including work, education, transferable skills, and military experience will be considered.
- Proven success leading and implementing strategies to build reputation and communicate more effectively with stakeholders.
- Strong leadership ability, proven diplomacy and the ability to pursue goals with tenacity.
- The preferred candidate will be an experienced strategist with the capacity to develop and lead strategic and operational plans, and, refine those plans in reference to the evolving political environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop positive relationships with stakeholders.
- Candidates should possess the executive presence and expertise vital to be viewed with confidence by staff, senior leadership, and the board, as the individual who can ensure that Blue Cross investment in public affairs will be a highly beneficial for the organization.
- Candidates must possess the highest ethical standards and share Blue Cross values: respect, accountability, imagination, and courage.
Role designation definition: Teleworking is working full time remote. Hybrid is a combination of working onsite and remotely. Onsite is full-time onsite.
Make a difference
Blue Cross is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer that values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Reasonable Accommodation for Job Seekers with a Disability: If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All roles require a high school diploma (or equivalency) and legal authorization to work in the U.S.
Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® of Minnesota and Blue Plus® are nonprofit independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-05-21