Director of Government Relations
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR IPA MANAGER OF GOVERNMENT RELATIONS
The Innovative Payments Association (IPA) is the preeminent trade association open to all companies involved in delivering innovative prepaid accounts and products to consumers, businesses and governments. Prepaid accounts are one of the fastest growing segments of the payments industry today with a very broad set of applications spanning government benefit disbursements, payroll, incentives, and healthcare as well as consumer loaded products such as general-purpose reloadable cards and open loop gift cards. The IPA’s members include card issuers, program managers, payment card networks, card manufacturers, law firms and consultants supporting the industry. This multi-billion dollar sector drives financial inclusion and is at the forefront of financial innovation.
This position will be responsible for supporting the development and implementation of a comprehensive external relations strategy in support of the IPA’s legislative and regulatory objectives. The position will play an important and a hands-on role which will require qualified candidates to have a general understanding of financial services (with an emphasis on payments), government relations and political strategy, external communications, and monitor daily political developments in the U.S. Additionally, in order to support and execute a government relations program, the successful candidate will be responsible for researching and drafting memoranda and talking points in collaboration with association colleagues and representatives from within the IPA’s membership.
- Contribute to the development of the association’s policy goals.
- Execute the legislative and regulatory priorities of the association by representing the association before legislators, regulators, and opinion leaders.
- Build and maintain relationships with financial services trade associations, consumer groups, and other key stakeholders to achieve policy objectives.
- Provide regulatory updates to the IPA staff, Board, and membership on legislative and regulatory developments.
- Manage and coordinate the weekly and monthly government relations conference calls with the association’s members.
- Assist IPA member lobbying efforts on the state level.
- Assist in optimizing the association’s public image and overall awareness of the prepaid industry, including helping to write/editing articles, press releases, and op-eds.
- Perform administrative duties with an attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Excellent writing, typing, research skills.
- Excellent oral communication and briefing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, superior judgment, and discretion.
- Strong interest in the financial services sector.
- Strong understanding of how to frame issues and messaging as well as how to communicate complicated issues in a clear, concise, and compelling manner.
- Minimum 5 years, preferably working in a government relations or related capacity.
- Minimum BA/BS. Graduate or Law degree preferred.
- Candidates will need be located in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area in order to participate in regular meetings in Washington, D.C. and the surrounding area.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-02-16