Director, Grassroots Advocacy
Business Unit Description
The Campaigns unit is responsible for the planning and execution of all advocacy and public education campaigns assigned by the Portfolios planning process or by the Executive Vice President of the State and National Group. The Campaigns unit partners with Government Affairs and States and Communities in developing and executing campaigns. The work of the Campaigns unit falls into the following areas:
• National and Federal Campaigns
• Multi-State Campaigns
• Individual State Campaigns
The Director, Grassroots Advocacy is responsible for developing and implementing effective strategies to help AARP achieve its social impact goals at the national, state and local levels in ways that positively influence national efforts.
1. Leads and directs the development and implementation of an organization-wide grassroots organizing strategy—working in close collaboration with field managers and state office staff.
2. Responsible for developing and implementing national and multi-state grassroots strategies and tactics to support campaigns.
3. Leads and directs development and expansion of online and offline advocacy capabilities to achieve a creative and innovative strategy that leverages all channels and uses new communication methods to engage activists and volunteers more effectively.
4. Leads and directs development of a grassroots (“activist”) database, including management of outside consultants and continuous assessment of grassroots and member engagement technologies.
5. Supports development and implementation of key contacts recruitment strategies in the states.
6. Responsible for revenue generation through a multi-million dollar advocacy fundraising program, and ensures coordination of advocacy efforts with the advocacy fundraising program.
7. Leads and develops, in conjunction with Government Affairs and state staff, periodic development conferences for national and state advocacy staff to refine tactics, to develop strategies, and to learn about new advocacy techniques.
8. Responsible for managing significant operational budget, including management of numerous external consultants.
9. Leads and directs advocacy skills training and issue message training on priority issues for relevant national and state staff through a variety of channels.
10. Develops a team through visionary leadership, establishing strategic direction, building organizational talent, and empowering others.
11. Supports the work of the team by mobilizing resources and developing and leveraging strategic relationships both within AARP and with external organizations.
12. Manages teams to prescribed standards of excellence as measured by AARP’s Management Indices that flow from Employee Opinion Surveys.
13. Demonstrates ‘One AARP’ behaviors and attributes in all interactions.
Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred) in Project or Program Management, Human Resources Management, political science or other field aligned with the duties of this position. 10+ years of experience in positions involving recruitment, mentoring and management of volunteers and of programs largely staffed by volunteers, preferably in non-profit organizations. Strong oral and written skills, working knowledge of effective public relations and communications practices; clear understanding of how to develop and implement campaign strategies; ability to work collegially with others at all levels to achieve common goals. Demonstrated ability to build consensus, think creatively and adapt to changing priorities.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-10-28