Director of Communications
Candid seeks a seasoned nonprofit communications professional to lead a team in telling Candid’s story to the world.
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019 Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
POSITION: Director of Communications
REPORTING TO:Senior Advisor
LOCATION: Flexible, with preference given to candidates located in cities where Candid has a large staff (New York, NY, Oakland, CA, Washington DC, and Williamsburg, VA)
POSITION SUMMARYCandid’s Director of Communications manages a team of three communications professionals and is charged with conveying Candid’s messaging, tone, and overall public story. Goals include driving awareness of Candid’s programs and mission, responding to a fast-changing philanthropic landscape and news cycle, and influencing public opinion. This position will achieve these goals via traditional media, social media, event presence, thought leadership, influencer and sector relationships, content creation, and other communications vehicles.
- Present the organization’s story to the world.
- Develop the brand through creative storytelling, partnerships, public speaking, blogging, publications, social media, and nurturing relationships with key sector influencers.
- Build relationships with sector leaders as opportunities arise that will ultimately advance Candid’s goals.
- Lead a team of content strategists and producers to create and package content to be promoted via all relevant channels (social, email, blogs, landing pages, conferences, events, etc.).
- Work closely with the Design and Marketing department on a range of issues tied to brand, website, stock imagery, web content, etc.
- Serve as a spokesperson, content expert, and thought leader for Candid in media interviews, public speaking opportunities, and authoring content.
- Develop and implement a more proactive media relations strategy for Candid.
- Advise on and coordinate launches of Candid initiatives.
- Respond to requests for input on external communications from across and outside the organization in a timely manner.
- Oversee organization-wide strategy for social media, blogs, conference presence, and newsletters to meet overall organizational goals.
- Lead crisis communications strategy and oversee coordinated responses as situations arise.
- Lead, structure, and orient a communications team of three to align with overall organizational and programmatic objectives.
- Advance communications strategies by implementing appropriate resources, strategies, and tools to ensure success.
- Grow the team through training and professional development.
- Oversee appropriate budget(s) and resource/tool acquisition, when relevant.
- Represent team in cross-departmental meetings and decisions.
- Proven and visible communications veteran, with experience in traditional media, social media, blogs, newsletters, conferences, and speaking engagements.
- Excellent communication skills—written, verbal, and interpersonal.
- Ability to excel in various roles: strategic thinker, problem-solver, editor, decision-maker, and diplomat.
- Experience managing a team of content and outreach experts.
- Deep domain knowledge of, and fluency in, the nonprofit/philanthropic sector, communications, and social media.
- College degree strongly preferred; equivalent experience will also be considered.
- Experience working with executives and other senior-level leaders, media members, and consultants.
- Ability to deliver constructive feedback on projects to internal and external stakeholders.
- Sensitivity and respect for racial, gender, sexual orientation, and cultural differences.
- Champions and represents Candid’s core values: We’re driven, direct, accessible, curious, and inclusive.
- Willingness to perform other duties and special projects as needed/requested.
Please email your resume and cover letter to:
Please put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will only be considered if all instructions above are met.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Due to the high volume of applicants we typically receive, we regret that we can only contact candidates that we would like to interview.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
Job posted: 2020-07-16