Director of Communications
Submit cover letter and resume through the Chamber’s job portal. Applications received in other means may not be considered. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to applications received by August 10th, 2020.
About the Chamber:
The Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce is the largest independent business and employer association in the region. We are a business advocacy organization that helps our members thrive in an equitable and inclusive regional economy.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is primarily responsible for branding and communications related to the Chamber’s core initiatives. They are responsible for creating, planning and implementing strategic, multi-faceted and integrated communications programs designed to build and strengthen the Chamber’s reputation and visibility throughout the Seattle metropolitan region. They will oversee day-to-day operations of specific year-round communications programs and help monitor the impact and effectiveness of our messaging.
This role represents a balance of hands-on direct communication work, along with leadership and management of a small and highly capable team. The Director supervises the Senior Marketing Manager and the Creative Marketing Manager, and is responsible for developing and mentoring staff, managing performance, and providing day-to-day direction.
Critical Job Functions:
- Directly supervises the Senior Marketing Manager and Creative Marketing Manager
- Works with direct reports to set goals and develop a framework for achieving those goals, and tracks and measures performance
- Identifies opportunities for staff development and encourages growth
Strategic Messaging and Thought Leadership
- Develops messaging that connects the activities of the Chamber to its strategy, values, vision and priorities, and ensures its consistent use across multiple areas and platforms including:
- Public policy
- Membership engagement
- Events marketing
- Web content development
- Social media engagement
- Media outreach
- Speaking engagements
- Works collaboratively across departments to align and synthesize messages with Chamber priorities and new initiatives
- Collaborates with external partners, including other associations as well as Chamber members, on messaging for shared initiatives
- Builds and fosters long-term working relationships with media, members of the community, public affairs offices, and other organizations
- Develops performance metrics to measure success on key communications initiatives, and reports on progress
- Develops and executes media engagement strategy
- Proactively disseminates updates on Chamber actions, events and positions to media
- Connects Chamber members to relevant media requests
- Builds proactive relationships with local and national media outlets, fielding requests for information and commentary
- Manages op-ed and guest column content and placement
- Provides reports of media activities, including media hits and return-on-investment analyses
- Facilitates media training for Chamber staff when needed
Editorial and Copywriting
- Adapts Chamber-produced content, including event content, policy briefs, and research and reports, for dissemination across a variety of platforms and formats
- Writes and edits copy for a variety of channels, including but not limited to:
- Articles for the Chamber’s website
- Press releases and statements
- Social media
- Email messages, including messages from Chamber leadership
- Serves as a general editorial resource for Chamber staff
- Keeps management and staff apprised of current events on a daily basis
- Creates content to share organizational updates, priorities and initiatives with Chamber staff and affiliates
- Partners with the HR Manager to:
- Recognize and celebrate staff contributions and achievements
- Communicate affiliates’ accomplishments and updates with Chamber staff
- Determine and implement processes to streamline information sharing
- At least six years of progressively responsible communications experience that ideally includes experience as a media liaison.
- Experience managing and supporting experienced team members and helping ensure that they contribute successfully to organizational goals.
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication skills with close attention to detail.
- Experience adapting content across a variety of platforms.
- Ability to distill complex ideas for a general audience and an understanding of writing from a variety of perspectives for diverse audiences.
- Proven experience building strong internal and external relationships.
- Works well under time constraints.
- Adaptable to evolving environments.
- An effective problem solver with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to speak effectively in public and to represent Chamber viewpoints.
- Strong leadership skills; experience handling multiple tasks and project management experience.
- Familiarity with contact management databases and web content management systems preferred.
The Chamber provides a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including but not restricted to:
- Medical/dental/vision coverage
- Vacation/sick/float leave
- Life Insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment Insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Transit subsidies
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employer-matched 401(k) Contribution
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid parental leave
- Wellspring EAP membership
- Personal accident insurance
- Generous holiday schedule and paid days off
- More about our benefits, perks, and info about working at the Chamber
We recognize the value of the Chamber reflecting the diversity of our community and are intentionally and actively seeking out applications from a variety of backgrounds, including members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and black, indigenous, and people of color.
The Chamber is an equal opportunity employer. All employees and potential employees will be recruited, selected, trained, promoted, and, if necessary, disciplined without regard to sex, race, religion, creed, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, color, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political ideology or activity, disability, honorably-discharged veteran or military status. All applicants are carefully screened and full consideration is given to their training, education, skills, aptitudes, experience, and previous work record. In addition, the Chamber does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information in its employment related policies and practices, including coverage under its health benefits program.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-30