Director of Grassroots
FARE is the largest organization serving 32 million Americans living with life-threatening food allergies. Its mission is to improve the quality of life and the health of individuals with food allergies and to fund the research necessary to create new therapies and, ultimately, a cure.
FARE is committed to growing its grassroots capabilities. It is seeking a Director of Grassroots to build a best-in-class program.
This person will be responsible for crafting a comprehensive strategy and managing execution of FARE’s grassroots activities including recruiting, stewarding, and mobilizing advocates nationwide. Advocates will influence public and private sector decision makers to implement policies that expand food allergy research, help get treatments to patients more quickly, and ensure those treatments are affordable.
The position will be report directly to the Sr. Vice President for External Affairs (advocacy, communications and marketing). This individual will work closely with the advocacy team and members of senior leadership across the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops in coordination with SVP of External Affairs the strategic direction of FARE’s grassroots advocacy program.
- Directs the operations of FARE’s grassroots advocacy program to achieve the maximum participation by building and maintaining relationships with advocate leaders
- Manages the Grassroots operations budget and program activities for field advocacy including major campaign initiatives, legislative fly-in meetings, legislative committees; advocacy action groups and the grassroots expansion project
- Works with Marketing and Communications to ensure that FARE remains current, including weekly highlights and calls to action, and meets the needs of grassroots network members, allied patient advocacy organizations, Congress and the media.
- Organize and steward FARE’s grasstops network
- Create and report on grassroots program metrics
- Create monthly communications calendars
- Prepare all materials including emails, social media posts, blog posts, fact sheets, leave behinds, etc.
- Master FARE’s advocacy CRM platform
- Oversee development and delivery of advocate trainings, online and in-person
- Maintain grassroots program’s digital footprint, including the website and social media
- Work with outside consultants retained for advocacy work
- Assist with the development of federal issue campaigns or coalitions
- Inform and advise FARE’s staff leadership and key volunteer leaders on grassroots objectives and strategies
- Experience developing and leading both staff and advocate teams
- Strong writing skills to translate complex policy ideas into persuasive messaging
- Strong oral communications skills
- Experience working with public affairs firm, trade association, patient advocacy, or similar, organization
- Ability to recognize and apply advocacy trends to create new approaches
- Ability to manage data and apply results to help develop strategies and tactics
- Familiarity with Salsa and Salesforce
- Excellent political acumen
- 7+ years’ experience as a grassroots professional
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, political science, public affairs or a related field
- Experience working with a grassroots advocacy program and/or managing grassroots mobilization in a federal electoral campaign; experience organizing and executing conferences and events, excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-10-28