Director, Public & Media Relations
We recognize and respect the amount of time you are about to invest by applying to this open position. If you complete this job application, you will be kept informed via email status updates (and text messages, if you opt in) throughout the evaluation process.
By continuing with this job application, you will be asked to answer job-specific questions. Please note that the questions contained in this job posting are our sole intellectual property.
Upon receipt of your responses, we will evaluate your submission. If selected for a personal interview, you will receive an email/text with scheduling instructions.
The Hiring Manager
SPECIAL NOTE: If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within minutes of your job application submission, please check your email bulk or spam folders.
Initiated in 1898, the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association is the marketing organization and trade association for America’s one million cattle farmers and ranchers. With offices in Denver and Washington, D.C., NCBA is a consumer-focused, producer-directed organization representing the largest segment of the nation’s food and fiber industry. NCBA works to achieve the vision; “A dynamic and profitable beef industry, which concentrates resources around a unified plan, consistently meets global consumer needs and increases demand.”
We are always looking for talented, self-motivated individuals to join our team. If you think you are ready to be a part of an exciting team, then we encourage you to continue with this applicant friendly, online job application!
National Cattlemen’s Beef Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
The Director, Public & Media Relations plays an integral role in developing strategic direction and executing NCBA’s Beef Checkoff-funded public and media relations programs by pitching, positioning and placing positive media coverage, as well as responding to media requests, lining up and prepping spokespeople, and developing relationships with key top tier journalists and publications. The Director, Public & Media Relations will identify media opportunities and place stories to promote beef and the cattle industry, correct misinformation, and position beef as the number one protein. This position is responsible for building and maintaining media lists and relationships with the following national print, broadcast, and digital media audiences: general consumer media, business media, ag trade media, and supply chain trade media. This position is not responsible for developing relationships with bloggers or other social media influencers, but rather will collaborate with team members who are responsible for managing influencer relationships in order to place national stories and promote beef.
- Leads and manages Beef Checkoff-funded national media relations efforts for business-to-consumer and business-to-business focused programs.
- Manages the media relations process including, but not limited to, incoming media inquiries, annual editorial calendars, monitoring, campaign metrics and content development and approvals.
- Manages junior members of the public and media relations team.
- Oversees work and provides strategic direction to agency partners working on media outreach
- Develops creative media pitches and story angles to generate positive editorial coverage for beef and beef producers.
- Regularly reviews and updates target media list in order to maintain current, up-to-date contacts.
- Participates in daily newsroom calls to determine media storylines, trends, and opportunities for beef.
- Regularly updates team members on earned media relations efforts and stories that have been placed.
- Helps identify and prepare spokespeople for interviews and coordinates media response with internal and external subject matter experts.
- Develops responses to inaccurate or incorrect media stories by providing accurate information and resources.
- Tracks media activity and results.
- Shares media analytics to help identify trends and future story opportunities with strategy core teams.
- Works with State Beef Council partners regularly to develop their local media strategy, including assisting in the development of media lists, sharing storylines/pitch ideas and serving as a partner and resource for them.
- Works with other communications professionals within the organization to foster collaboration across programs and media relations work.
- Candidates must possess 5-7 years of experience, a bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English, Public Relations and/or related field. Experience in journalism, communications, public relations, content development and/or media relations is critical.
- Excellent communication skills, including both written and oral, are essential, as is the proven ability to write clearly, concisely, quickly and accurately, incorporating key messages.
- Experience conducting formal media training and informal spokesperson prep preferred.
- Candidates must be detail-oriented, flexible, self-directed and a team player.
- He/she must be able to work under pressure and in a timely matter and be willing to work during non-business hours to accommodate media requests and opportunities.
- Willingness to be a strong advocate for beef, with an open mind and positive attitude is a must.
- He/she must have a commitment to upholding beef’s position as the preferred protein and have a passion for working for America’s farmers and ranchers.
- Overnight travel is required for this position
- Travel will vary from 15% to 25%
- May require travel and/or work on weekends.
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Short-Term Disability
- Vision Insurance
- Paid Vacation
- Sick Time
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-16