Smith & Nephew
The Director, Public Policy & Government Affairs, provides leadership and strategic as well tactical support on the company’s U.S. public policy priorities and ensures alignment on these priorities across the company’s divisions. This position reports directly to the Sr. Vice President for Public Policy & Government Affairs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSABLITIES
- Must reside in the Washington, DC, metropolitan area and have the ability to travel domestically up to 20% of the time to meet with internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead the development of key public policy initiatives within the company, working through collaborative frameworks of internal stakeholders.
- Effectively represent the company to senior public officials in Congress and federal agencies.
- Develop and execute advocacy strategies that leverage a broad range of stakeholders and the knowledge of company employees in delivering on objectives.
- Effectively manage and proactively work to build and enhance key government affairs program initiatives.
- Provide strategic and tactical advice on public policy issues to executives across the Company.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to synthesize complex information into focused public policy and advocacy materials.
- A track record of successful advocacy to senior-level policymakers on Capitol Hill and / or federal agencies on health care issues.
- Intimate knowledge of the federal legislative process and health care policy, with an ability to apply that knowledge to coherent strategy development.
- Proven ability to develop key relationships and identify and leverage collaborative opportunities with a range of stakeholders, including health professional societies and patient advocacy organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects and objectives, lead projects, and work effectively with others internally to produce positive results.
- Ability to identify and efficiently utilize internal resources for maximum impact.
- A strong desire to continually improve and undertake new challenges, with a commitment to excellence.
- A strong sense of accountability with high ethical standards.
- Proficient utilizing relevant computer software programs, including but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Explorer (or software equivalents there-of).
- Under-graduate degree required.
- Post-graduate degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in public policy and government affairs specifically related to health care. This should include several years of experience working on Capitol Hill and / or in a federal agency, as well as several years working in a corporate government affairs function or relevant trade association.
- Strong understanding of the inner-workings of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate, as well as federal government departments and agencies. State legislative experience is a plus, but not required.
- Extensive experience (1) developing health care policy, (2) advocating before Congress and federal departments and agencies, and (3) building and working with stakeholder coalitions.
- Previous background as an active participant or leader in trade association work groups.
- Experience working with a P.A.C. (Political Action Committee) and / or a grassroots program is a plus, but not required.
Job Posted: January 23, 2017