Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, State Affairs
AEM (Association of Equipment Manufacturers) is hiring a Director of State Affairs to join our office in Washington DC.
We are looking for a service-oriented professional who enjoys variety and challenge to join our Government Relations team. This individual will direct daily state government relations operations, expansion of engagement efforts, developing long-term relationships with lawmakers in state capitals and direct efforts to grow AEM’s profile among industry groups, coalitions, and associations.
- Oversee the association’s day-to-day state government relations efforts, including outreach and engagement with lawmakers and their staff on the association’s top policy priorities.
- Develop and implement strategies to advance the association’s policy priorities.
- Track, review and analyze state legislation that could impact the equipment manufacturing industry including, but not limited to, agriculture, infrastructure, intellectual property, tax, and workforce development.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement efforts to raise the profile of the association and the equipment manufacturing industry among state business groups, industry organizations, coalitions, and other key stakeholders.
- Work with the association’s regulatory, compliance, and safety function to align and coordinate legislative and regulatory efforts at the state level.
- Respond to internal and external requests for information on state legislative matters.
- Draft statements, talking points, and other advocacy-focused materials.
- Manage State Affairs Regional Manager (based in the Midwest)
- Manage state lobbying strategy and contract lobbyists as needed.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in a related field such as political science, economics, or journalism. Experience working for a trade association, corporation, or in a state legislative office or executive office preferred. This position requires at least 8 years of experience in government relations, including the ability to develop and execute winning advocacy strategies in multiple states. Candidates must have in-depth knowledge of state legislative processes, procedures, rules, and calendars. Candidates must also be well organized and detail-oriented with the ability to seamlessly shift focus, location, and priorities for the benefit of the association and its member companies. Strong aptitude for developing productive working relationships with stakeholders important to the industry is a plus. The position offers challenging work with plenty of room for initiative and independence. Domestic travel required at least 33 percent.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates can send their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2023-04-26